Discuss Ideas welcome - lighting over range within chimney breast in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Customer asking for lighting for range/hob as it is really gloomy at night.

1709157382178.png

1709158164074.png

Issues being getting power there, and the curved profile which is more pronounced than the picture looks.
I'm interested how others would approach this one.
My current (only!) idea is D-Line min-trunking over tiles on right and running 12v in, and 45 degree LED channel each side running front to back.

Is the back of the alcove an outside wall, or internal? Just wondering if you can get power in from the back, either from another room, or even an external cable?

Is the back of the alcove an outside wall, or internal? Just wondering if you can get power in from the back, either from another room, or even an external cable?
Sadly not really. There is a mirror image matching profile fireplace in the next room:

1709159523803.png

It's a mid terrace house and the back wall is an adjoining wall, so no external options. (Gd II listed as well)
Tiled floor in kitchen.
The room above is bathroom and also has tiled floor. This room also has the chimney breast squared off and it's massive. It would be theoretically possible to find the flue within it and drop a cable down via airing cupboard but I really don't fancy it in this house.
Hence my thought of D-Line trunking, or even alarm cable hidden in decorators caulk taking 12v in.

If we leave aside how power gets there, anyone got any thoughts about the best way to light the space?

Tricky one. If there is a void above the soffit above the range, then a single downlight might do it. (or two tiltable). Otherwise it's LED tape in channel. Bendable channel is available, which would fit the curve of the soffit. I've never used it personally, but it looks like it would do the job:

The 2 core cable that vendor sells sell for LED tape is quite thin, about 4mm dia, though unfortunately in black. Where are you thinking of installing the LED driver?

Bendable channel is available, which would fit the curve of the soffit.
Thank you, I didn't know about that.
Where are you thinking of installing the LED driver?
I've got as far as not wanting it anywhere above the hob.
Where the dresser is in the photo is now a large fridge freezer. I'm thinking of putting the driver in a box behind that.
I can then run around the skirting in D-Line, around the side at low level and up.

There's a fused spur to the right, almost invisible on the photo. It unfortunately has no load cable now, it probably once did hob ignition! But I could run flex into D-line from that, with it also providing a switch.

I don't like it but there are no easy starters for this one. I came close to suggesting battery power!

1709198908795.png

I was going to suggest battery myself until I got to the end of the last message.

Does it get really hot above the stove?
Will anything like LED tape or bendable fitting be affected by heat?

Do I spy a clock on that range? If so, there's power there already! 12V LED strip ahoy - if it were me I'd look at taking the thinnest csa 2c cable possible from the driver (feed from range CCU and hide behind) and glue/mastik tight into the seam of one of the back corners. Use a Quinetic switch/receiver, job done.

Reply to Ideas welcome - lighting over range within chimney breast in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net