Discuss Running lighting circuits in the loft space. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
When running lighting cables in the loft space, they can be clipped to the side of the joists no problem. When the cable then needs to be run at right angles to the joists, is it best pratice to drill the joists to pass the cable through or run over the top of them.

Cheers for the advice guys.

I think the Building Regs only define notched or drilled joists when running perpendicular.

It is an interesting one, as the BR do not say you cannot...I can't recall whether one of the install methods in BS7671 would be suitable.

Yooj

Whats in the loft? how big are the joists? if they are 4x2 then thats going to be taking a lot out of them. can you not run the cables to the edge of the loft? or another way is to run a piece of timber across the existing timbers and clip to that

personlay i dont think its good idea to drill loft joists, keep cables to edges, lofts arent meant to even have stuf up there on new builds, so sure you cant drill new builds as they seem miminal spec...

If your gonna drill the joists in the loft id make sure the holes are not bigger than they need be as your gonna affect the structural integrity holding the weight of the roof

I think you should assess the joists, i was in a loft of a 5 bed house yesterday, the main area they were 10 inch x 2 inch but over the master bed they were 3 inch x 1.5 inches, obviously you would not drill the smaller ones.

Under no circumstances would I drill the joists on a truss type roof. These rooves are designed in such a way that any holes drilled could affect the structural integrity of the roof!

Whats in the loft? how big are the joists? if they are 4x2 then thats going to be taking a lot out of them. can you not run the cables to the edge of the loft? or another way is to run a piece of timber across the existing timbers and clip to that

1910 terrace, they're only 3 1/4" x 2 1/4".

Think it would be best to take them to the edge before running the m accross the loft.

Thanks for the advice.

drilled the last one i did on a 1880 house mind you joists where 12inch x 3 inch a proper roof not like the NO SWEARING of today

Last edited by a moderator:
this is something I questioned a while back...
It's Ok clipping them at the edges, but when you have to run at 90deg to drop into the light fitting access & they may then run over the joists, what then?

What if you leave it at that & the customer now wants to board it?

Saw a good one the other day. Rewired a Bungalow last year & have gone back intermittently to do a few light fittings etc. Went into loft & houseowner had double insulated & boarded with chipboard...Over all the cables!!

If you see that then, what responsibility do you have to that??

this is something I questioned a while back...
It's Ok clipping them at the edges, but when you have to run at 90deg to drop into the light fitting access & they may then run over the joists, what then?

What if you leave it at that & the customer now wants to board it?

Saw a good one the other day. Rewired a Bungalow last year & have gone back intermittently to do a few light fittings etc. Went into loft & houseowner had double insulated & boarded with chipboard...Over all the cables!!

If you see that then, what responsibility do you have to that??

You shouldnt be running them over joists where they may walk or board

Right, as an example...
did a rewire a couple of weeks back. Feed for the shower came up into loft. Run continued alongside the edge tucked up to rafters, then turned 90deg alongside a short wall. At that point dropped into shower isolator. From Isolator back up into loft it had to run across the joist to come down into a chase on the wall the customer had the shower on situated above the bath.

You can't drill or notch a shallow joist for a 10mm cable, I can't see how else this was going to run without crossing the joist??

Think next time I'll take some Pics & we can all colour our ideal runs...

Something like that I would screw a length of timber across the joists so that you can clip the cable to it so that it is not going to get walked on, or run the cable back to the edge, over the joist and then along it

If you want to drill joists the holes should be centred and no more than 0.25 the depth of the joist in diameter. They should be positioned in the zone between 0.25 to 0.4 of the span from either end. (Regulation 522-12-03 of BS 7671) LINK

If you want to drill joists the holes should be centred and no more than 0.25 the depth of the joist in diameter. They should be positioned in the zone between 0.25 to 0.4 of the span from either end. (Regulation 522-12-03 of BS 7671) LINK

"Hello pushrod"

Without going to look at the British Standard or the Regulation that You have quoted I am fairly sure that what You quoted applies only to Floor Joists.

Even then Joists of less than 200mm [8"] should NOT be Drilled or Notched without additional reinforcement being applied to the Joists - for example 18 / 20 mm [3/4"] Ply being Laminated onto the sides of the Joists.

An example of NOT Drilling or Notching Joists of less than 200mm [8"] Deep is that Ground Floor Joists which are usually only about 100mm [4"] - as You know these should NEVER be Notched or Drilled - Even though these Joists will be supported on Wooden Plates and Brick Piers at regular intervals.

So although these 100mm / 4" Joists are well supported they should NOT be Drilled or Notched - It follows that a similar size Ceiling Joist which is only supported on the Room Walls [If Then] should NEVER be Drilled or Notched.

Ceiling `Joists` are usually part of the Roof Truss construction as was mentioned in previous Posts - So to ensure that the Roof Structure is NOT compromised under NO Circumstances should they be Drilled for Cables or Pipes.

Apart from weakening them in relation to the Roof Structure they would also be weakened with regard to walking across them when People have to access the Loft.

I have actually seen Ceiling Joists with Drill Holes in them for cables - the Homeowner had told the Electrician that they were going to Board Out the Loft Space - So the Electrician Drilled 25mm Holes right across the Loft - In the MIDDLE of the Span between the outside wall and the internal walls - to be close to the Room Lights in the Centre of the Rooms !

Imagine that on Ceiling Joists that were only 95mm X 47 mm [3 3/4" X 1 7/8"] !

Luckily I saw this as I am a fairly Big Man - I might well have been heavy enough to have these Drilled Ceiling Joists Break under My Weight !

Chris

P.S. - I am NOT `being funny` about noting the Metric and Imperial Measurements - the Imperial are what the Joists actually Measured - the Sizes of Wood that were used at the Time of Construction of the Houses.

Last edited:
The last couple of loft extensions were more or less top floor rewires where I ran and clipped the cables to the joists and then only hopped over the joist in the eves, never over the joists in the middle of the loft.
Another one was where there was a known extention going to be fitted at a later stage so ran the cables to the end of the joists and then clipped them up on the purlings so the cables were accessible and easy to move around while building work took place.

I was trained never to drill joists in the loft, particularly A framed structures, since they are not designed to carry the weight of a floor unless its a Victorian house where they are usually boarded out anyway.

edit: Generally as a ROT, any joist under 5" (125mm *50mm) should not be drilled.

Legh

Last edited:
Going by most of what you've been saying above, it's a wonder most of the houses over the years haven't collapsed on themselves.

Funny how all this this waffle was never thought of, or required in the past. Mind you, the older houses were made and built to last!! Can't see a lot of these modern homes passing the test of Time!! lol!!!

Most of these new rules (to me anyway) are just a load of hot air, dreamt up by those that have nothing better to do!! It would surprise me, if an electrician needed to drill a hole for cables to pass in a floor joist, it Will be drilled, and the cables will pass through that joist!! Come to that if a plumber needed to notch a joist for his pipework, it's going to get notched. ...It's the way of the World!! lol!!

Reply to Running lighting circuits in the loft space. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net