Discuss Salary advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

roukel01

Hi All

In a bit of quandary. I'm currently self employed, doing ok, no overheads apart from usual insurances, van maintenance, elecsa fees etc.
Basically a friend of mine owns a group of about 6 care homes, spread across a couple of counties. He's looking into having his own in house electrical department, in charge of any expansion, maintenance etc. He has already done this with a building department.
He's asked me to be in charge of the new department, current projects in the pipeline are an 18 bedroom extension at one care home, another 5 bedroom extension at another, and a brand new care complex village (all of which have planning permission)
On top of that, all of the testing/inspection/maintenance needs to be managed.

I'd still have to muck in, with regards to tools, but would be in charge of a team.

The problem is

A) Pros/cons of ditching my self employed lifestyle and going Employed?
B) He's asked me to come back with a figure I had in mind for this role

any thoughts would be appreciated

Sick pay, holiday pay, pension.....versus ... the possibility of losing your job in the future

As for a figure - only you know what you want....

I've got to be realistic with a figure

Business wise at the moment is good, running since 1989, gone through recessions. Have a good regular client base

Yeah, would probably be more like ÂŁ40000 plus the benefits that come with being employed, holidays, sick pay, pension, depending on hours that is good for ÂŁ620 after tax, any over time would bump it up to a more than acceptable level.

I wouldn't bother, I'd try and cut a deal where you still keep your firm or sell him your company. Your essential throwing away 27 year trading history. Then once your under control you might hate it.

on the other hand 4-5 weeks paid leave, sick pay and all that may appeal. It only appeals to me when I'm feeling down or going through a slow patch.

Would your "mate" agree to a 6 month part time contract? The you could keep your business going and try out being "employed"!

Think its a bit rich for him to ask you to come up with a figure. He's the one offering you the job, he knows how much its worth. That's what most employers do? Seems like he's seeing if you come back with a undervalued salary.

Think its a bit rich for him to ask you to come up with a figure. He's the one offering you the job, he knows how much its worth. That's what most employers do? Seems like he's seeing if you come back with a undervalued salary.

Happens all the time and it's a fair request, he's just looking to see what kind of money he would need to pay to get Roukel to give up his own company, without offering ÂŁ10000 more than needed lol

He's still expanding his business over the next few years by the sound of it so it might suit you both for you to do his maintenance on contract on an hourly rate plus retainer with a written 12 month guarantee you'll be his sole maintenance provider. You get to stay as your own boss, the master of your own destiny and he gets a more financially flexible option to employing a full time team.

No Less than,
ÂŁ40000
40 hr Basic week, but with flexi-time to suit both maybe.
5 Weeks Holiday plus Bank hols (or in lieu if required to work)
Max 4 weeks sick pay
Pension
Fully financed company vehicle, including reasonable private use. (it'll cost you in tax tho')
All but hand tools supplied.

You're not going to get the team all at once so careful thought about out of hours cover is required.

Hi All

In a bit of quandary. I'm currently self employed, doing ok, no overheads apart from usual insurances, van maintenance, elecsa fees etc.
Basically a friend of mine owns a group of about 6 care homes, spread across a couple of counties. He's looking into having his own in house electrical department, in charge of any expansion, maintenance etc. He has already done this with a building department.
He's asked me to be in charge of the new department, current projects in the pipeline are an 18 bedroom extension at one care home, another 5 bedroom extension at another, and a brand new care complex village (all of which have planning permission)
On top of that, all of the testing/inspection/maintenance needs to be managed.

I'd still have to muck in, with regards to tools, but would be in charge of a team.

The problem is

A) Pros/cons of ditching my self employed lifestyle and going Employed?

any thoughts would be appreciated

Seen lots of so called friendships ending tears by working for him, no friends in business

Reply to Salary advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net