Discuss Scrap copper cable strippers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Iv got 2 large bins full of scrap cable. Mostly 2.5 t+e, 1.5 t+e, flexes and singles.

I need to get rid but I'm unsure if to scrap as is or invest in a stripper to get the bright copper.

What are people experiences with all the varying strippers available? Iv seen £15 things on ebay up to automatic machines that run into the hundreds.

I think 1 strip would pay for a decent machine so I'm not to worried about making the investment if there is 1 particular style that is really good.

Can't help much answer your question (interested myself, to be fair!) but what's the current price of bright at the moment??

Iv got 2 large bins full of scrap cable. Mostly 2.5 t+e, 1.5 t+e, flexes and singles.

I need to get rid but I'm unsure if to scrap as is or invest in a stripper to get the bright copper.

What are people experiences with all the varying strippers available? Iv seen £15 things on ebay up to automatic machines that run into the hundreds.

I think 1 strip would pay for a decent machine so I'm not to worried about making the investment if there is 1 particular style that is really good.
I bought one of the cheapies on ebay.

It does do the job but it takes quite a while. I worked out that I was earning about £4 p/hour. Financially it's not worth it, but I kind of enjoyed making a day of it with a beer and the radio.

It did actually strip 1mm twin and earth but it was fiddly and the result was a small amount of copper, that probably worked out to around £1 p/hour!

I’d check the price out that the scrappy will give for the unstripped stuff. I’ve thought briefly about stripping the cable but have better things to do with my time.

I costed this up and it makes sense only on cables over 10mm.

Anything less, just scrap it.

I sit there of an evening and strip it with a stanley knife. If you hold it with the blade facing horizontal close to your knee then pull the cable through, it does quite a good job of stripping and does not take too long.

i only strp cable 6mm and over. first cut into lengths about a foot or so long. clamp 1 end in the vice ( i have beer on tap in my workshop), and then strip with a stanley or other sharp blade cutting away from you.

I have one of these: Dirty dirty stripper...

I only strip 6mm upwards but this can do down to 1.5mm.

Paid for itself on the first run but I do get a lot of large offcuts.

Nick Bundy took a bit of time to figure out costings, earlier this year. He'd bought some fancy electric stripper, but think he also concluded that only larger sizes were worth the hassle.

I stripped mine the last few months. Only stripped 6MM upwards, anything below wasn't worth the effort.
For PVC cables they are paying around £1.30 a KG
Stripped copper over £5KG
I stripped the armour off the SWA and it then goes in as PVC.
I had several KG of busbar, brass terminals etc.
I use a Jokari cable stripper and does the job, Good cable stripper in general to be honest with you. just adjust the blade then pull along the cable from one end to other. safer than a stanley knife.

1625592719086.png

Reply to Scrap copper cable strippers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net