Discuss Sds drill in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

PAD66

-
Reaction score
In need of a new sds battery drill, have had a 24v Hitachi for the last two years. I have been looking at the Makita 18v SDS,has anyone got any experience of the
Thanks
Paul.

look art the makita 36V on another thread. takes 2 x 18A batts.

I've got the 18V makita SDS, Great drill. Mainly use it for fixing boxes and the odd 16/20mm hole.
will drill bigger 25mm holes and used for the odd bit if chasing. Was going to also buy the Bosch 36v professional but for the cash, if I need more power, I'll use a 110v sds.

I've got the 18v Makita and it's the nuts. Swa runs along concrete walls, it doesn't let up even though it's getting on a bit now. Even got stuck once and used it with a diamond core. I've got the older one with brushes, may be worth looking at the brushless one, and as others say there's a thread about the new 36v bad boy!

Was going to also buy the Bosch 36v professional but for the cash, if I need more power, I'll use a 110v sds.

The Bosch 36V is more powerful than the 110V corded Makitas we have.

Granted the Makitas get the most abuse but for convenience you can't beat the Bosch.

We have 2, and they're beasts! They make 18V SDS drills look like childrens toys!

Was looking at getting the 36v makita twin battery model.
However I have the 18v brushless one and have not found anything it cant do. If im knocking out more than a few back boxes i get the corded one out. If you have a load of 18v makita batteries i would go for the 36v as its actually cheaper than the brushless 18v

The Bosch 36V is more powerful than the 110V corded Makitas we have.

Granted the Makitas get the most abuse but for convenience you can't beat the Bosch.

We have 2, and they're beasts! They make 18V SDS drills look like childrens toys!
which makita was that? for some reason makita do about 3/4 18v sds+ drills.

i havent had any problems with my 18v makita including chasing all day, drilling 16mm holes for rawl bolts etc, had a manufacturing fault on my drill and they replaced the motor etc no questions asked (the gear selector came off and some bits from inside fell off)

i cant find another case online of this happening so must have been a one off.

no issues with my makita gear other than that

it was bhr243 i think

BHR242RFE.jpg

the compact one (above) is a lot more powerful than the long version

Last edited:
if you have a budget bosch 36v not let you down..but careful ..there its two models of them..one with 3 work option and other with 2 work option..prepare to spend over £500-600..

Bosch GBH36VFLI 36V Cordless li-ion SDS Plus Rotary Hammer Drill (1 x 4Ah Battery) with Quick Change Chuck (GBH-36-VFLI)

here its what i have on my van and im so hapy with them..
you need at least 2 batteries though.

for that kind of money i would get a battery and corded (corded run cooler so better when chasing etc)

which makita was that? for some reason makita do about 3/4 18v sds+ drills.

i havent had any problems with my 18v makita including chasing all day, drilling 16mm holes for rawl bolts etc, had a manufacturing fault on my drill and they replaced the motor etc no questions asked (the gear selector came off and some bits from inside fell off)

i cant find another case online of this happening so must have been a one off.

no issues with my makita gear other than that

it was bhr243 i think

BHR242RFE.jpg

the compact one (above) is a lot more powerful than the long version

I don't know the model numbers but they're just bog standard 110V three mode SDS drills.

As far as I'm aware there's nowt wrong with 18V SDS drills, but if you want a cordless that is just as, if not more powerful than mains, then the 36V Bosch is the way to go.

In my experience, they chew through things that my 110V ones struggle with.

The best mains powered SDS I've ever had the pleasure of using was a spit 322, no matter how much abuse two of us could put it through it never missed a beat. I'm not sure exactly what the link is but spit and Bosch are somehow related. Their SDS drill bits were the best I've ever used too.

The best mains powered SDS I've ever had the pleasure of using was a spit 322, no matter how much abuse two of us could put it through it never missed a beat. I'm not sure exactly what the link is but spit and Bosch are somehow related. Their SDS drill bits were the best I've ever used too.
talking about sds bits have you tried reisser quad tip bits?

when you have tried them you wont go back for the larger sizes

I must agree with skelton
i had a makita 110v and it was fine for 6 to 10mm anchor holes.
anything bigger the torque limiter clutch kicked in too early and every holesaw and larger diameter hole became a task n a half
gave it to my brother and bought a 36v bosch
used it every day for four years and dropped it last year of a pair of steps and broke it.it was a good drill alright.
im using a metabo 28v Sds just now which is lighter than the Bosch and has much the same performance
over the years for corded Sds I rate Bosch ,hilti and Metabo.
bosch invented the special drilling system and licences it to everyone else

I must agree with skelton
i had a makita 110v and it was fine for 6 to 10mm anchor holes.
anything bigger the torque limiter clutch kicked in too early and every holesaw and larger diameter hole became a task n a half
gave it to my brother and bought a 36v bosch
used it every day for four years and dropped it last year of a pair of steps and broke it.it was a good drill alright.
im using a metabo 28v Sds just now which is lighter than the Bosch and has much the same performance
over the years for corded Sds I rate Bosch ,hilti and Metabo.
bosch invented the special drilling system and licences it to everyone else
? ive been drilling 16,22 and 30mm holes in concrete with my makita 18v sds. im not touching there corded then.

I've just had the new Milwaukee fuel 18v sds and it's great for chasing out. Highest impact energy out there 4.3jouls also says it can drill 28mm holes but haven't tried that yet. Perfect to go with my other Milwaukee 18v tools and the 5Ah battery's have just come out so will last for ages.

I've just had the new Milwaukee fuel 18v sds and it's great for chasing out. Highest impact energy out there 4.3jouls also says it can drill 28mm holes but haven't tried that yet. Perfect to go with my other Milwaukee 18v tools and the 5Ah battery's have just come out so will last for ages.
the Milwaukee drills are great, i was going to buy Milwaukee and the only reason i didnt was makita was a lot cheaper.

i dont think makita is as well made as Milwaukee imho

Reply to Sds drill in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net