Discuss Search engine optimization (SEO in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hey guys. I did A-Level electronics but apart from that I am definitely not a certified electrician, however, I have studied web design, programming and SEO for quite a few years now. There are a few things you need to do in order to get a good SERP (search engine results page) rating. The main thing you need to do is to design and build the web site with SEO in mind. Unfortunately for many people SEO is always an after thought. I'd be quite happy to answer any questions you may have. Below is the URL for a web site I designed for a friend of mine, Tim Watt, who was a professional artist. He still paints in his spare time but had to commit to full time work after giving in to the pressures of a mortgage etc...

The web site is www.timwatt.co.uk. If you Google / ask jeeves / msn bing the words "tim watt" the web site comes up as the first hit.

There are a few main things you need to do:

1. Pick your keywords carefully (ideally make them unique - as specific to you as possible).
· This means using the fact that your name / business name is different to everyone else's to full advantage.
· Alternatively, use an uncommon word associate with a job that you do e.g. spur (as in spur installation).
· Try to avoid overly common keywords such as "fault finding" or "installation" as these are prolific across all types of work from computing and software, car repair, engineering etc...

2. Proliferate your keywords. Ideally use the most unique words on everything you use. Web site / business card / works van etc... everything!
· Use your key words in the titles of your web pages. Make sure that every web page has a different title. Web sites are penalised for content duplication.
· Also make sure that you use the keywords in the contents of your web site. If you have said "spur" in your keywords, maybe have a page listing all of the jobs you commonly do - including "spur installation".
· Give your web pages useful names e.g. www.local-electrician.co.uk/installing_a_spur.html. This will not only make it easier for your customers to remember (and come back to) but it will give you a better serp rating. Also, don't stop there.
· Make sure that all of the images on your web site have got "alt" tags correctly filled in. So if you have got a photo of you installing a spur, set the alt tag to "A simple spur installation..." or something similar.

3. Maintain good link equity. This means link to as many (related and relevant) web sites as possible.
· If you can, get them to link to you as well. The more often a search engine comes across a link to your web site (on another related web site) the higher your serp rating will be.
· This also means don't start renaming existing pages or moving your web site. If you have any links that point to a page or site that doesn't exist this will lower your link equity and affect your serp rating.

As you can see there isn't one hard and fast "secret" to getting good SEO. You really need to have SEO in mind when you think about anything on your web site. It will take a lot of time and effort but as with everything, you'll reap what you sow.

I hope that has helped. Any more questions or if you need further explanation please let me know...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Search engine optimization (SEO in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net