Discuss Shed/Garage electric supply query in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kev2b4

Hi, I'm new to this , so will try and keep it simple.

Have been in (new to us) house.

Currently have a shed adjacent to house fed , this is fed via a 2.5mm2 twin and earth cable from main consumer unit
(up to sunday this was clipped to skirting board in cupboard ( now is in plastic cover)).
This cable I intend to get changed in the near future to a 2.5mm 3 core SWA , with the armouring bonded back to earth.

House shed-- this has an old 6 way fused distribution board, this is intended to be changed for an rcd'd 4 way consumer unit. ( outside lights and power sockets are all armoured cable with the armouring currently glanded with EXD Glands!)- lighting in shed is braided cable with the braid being taken to earth.

A feed from this is then taken to a garden shed approx 9m cable length via 2.5mm2 twin and earth cable , underground in rubbish plastic conduit.( from what can be seen)

Garden shed has a nice installation - rcd with 6A breaker for lighting, 16A driving sockets all tidily plastic conduit.

I intend to run a 2.5mm2 SWA 3 core from shed to shed , installed above ground onto the adjacent fence at say 1m above ground level.
( armouring bonded to earth at house shed)

Maximum loads are:-

House shed - freezer , + 13A max

Garden shed - 6+16=22A max

I realise the EXD glands (IP65) are a little over the top for a domestic - but they look pretty!, however would appreciate any guidance on what is proposed above-

When electrical changes will be calling in a proper ( Qualified Electrician ) to check over the whole of the house wiring ,
( when moved in we had some issues with the wiring -- ( missus understood why shower got disconnected very quickly!)- also L + N reversed in one socket! )

You' ve said you will have a qualified electrician check whole off you property when you finish the job you have asked about.
Save yourself a load of hassle and pay a good qualified spark to check the existing whole installation and do the job safely and correctly.

Oh and also this work is covered by Part P, so compliance of this is in your best interests!

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses,

Murdoch's response
I thought that about the RCD's in series ( one wonders how many garages have that set-up)

2nd response was aware of part P , hence need proper sparky

BES response -- was considering getting Sparky in in the immediate future- as you pointed out it will save doing things twice!

PS general impression of this forum is that it is very helpful, unlike some others.

Murdoch's response
I thought that about the RCD's in series ( one wonders how many garages have that set-up)

BES response -- was considering getting Sparky in in the immediate future- as you pointed out it will save doing things twice!

PS general impression of this forum is that it is very helpful, unlike some others.

Mostly the ones done by DIYers

one of our esteemed experienced members is in norfolk/ maybe he'll respond.

Murdoch's response

Thank you :)

There are some who would disagree with you vehemently but they are generally the ones who don't know how to ask a question correctly and then go into a strop when they don't get an answer that suits them.

It's a case of you get out what you put in.

Its a long way from Norfolk to Luton!

DOH. sure OP said great moulton. wrong thread. thread. excuse is i've not had a beer yet.

been the orse spittal. bloody waste of time. took 30 minutes to find a parking space on some rough ground coz. car park was rammed. then got a warning ticket for parking without as permit, although there were no signs. ticket says pay £00.00 within 30 days, so i'm sending them a cheque for that amount.

been the orse spittal. bloody waste of time. took 30 minutes to find a parking space on some rough ground coz. car park was rammed. then got a warning ticket for parking without as permit, although there were no signs. ticket says pay £00.00 within 30 days, so i'm sending them a cheque for that amount.

Dunno if Scouseland is the same but here in Geordieland I can hire a taxi, pay the fare & get a receipt from the driver which I present to the hospital cashier and get my money back OR I can get them to send an nhs mini bus thing which is free.

I did use my car, but had the same problems that you're having so now if they want me there they can organise and pay for it.

I have absolutely no qualms about this since I worked and paid my dues since I was 15 - now it's payback time.

Reply to Shed/Garage electric supply query in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net