Discuss shocks off pipework... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Had a call tonight from landlord I know... tenant has been getting shocks off the pipework!!

Going to pop along tommorrow to check it all out.

Heard of this before, but never come across situation myself.

Obviously going to check out all the bonding, any other pointers of would could cause this, what to look for, where to test etc ?

Many Thanks,

Sy :)

I would say an earth fault coupled with a high Ze and/or absence of any form of RCD protection.

You havde to identify the faulty circuit(s) as a start and adress any other issues as you go.

ya isolate faulty circuit first -phase tester will do

for TT check main bond,ze ,main rcd

for tn-c-s could be bonding or supply neutral(unlikely)

(as well as the earth-fault obviously)

not familiar with tn-s

Last edited by a moderator:
also check things like Any work done in the house if fault has recently started like shelves Mirrors pictures being put up floor boards bein lifted n put down trapping cable GOOD LUCK

Isolate supply and check continuity from MET to bonded metalwork and pipes that have been giving "shocks" if this is OK most likely is a neutral fault on the suppliers side on a tncs system. With appliance switched on neutral return is back to the cutout and then through the consumers bonded metal work ( which would have to be high impedence).

Last edited:
Well just got back...

For starters there was no main earth !!

Tried to get a ZE, but got some dodgy readings >55v and showing n-e. Old TT system.

Took all the fuses out and switched off, landlord is having to sort something out for tenants. One of tenants said they have been getting shocks for over a month and sometimes from the bath water :eek: So why did they only leave it until now to tell the landlord, crazy !! That place is a death trap.... sketchy original wall heaters in kitchen and bathroom, acient towel rail with wires hanging out in bathroom, the list goes on. And they've got 2 young kids in there. Also the old wylex CU is located outside the back door in a porch, but fully exposed to elements... all the fuses and screws were rusted in !

Another thing I noticed was the meter had been changed in FEB this year, surely they have to check for an earth! Or are they just a bunch of muppets on a price that are not actually proper sparkies ?

Whilst had cover off did a quick IR test L+N to E , on all the circuits to try and locate the internal fault/s. Ring, cooker and 2 x lighting circuits all these had less than 2m(Ohms).

Landlord is going to call local supplier and get put onto PME, should be ok flat upstairs has it. If they cant do this pretty soon will put an earth stake in, do CU change and find these faults.

So that it really, thanks for your advice anyway,

Sy

Well just got back...

Tried to get a ZE, but got some dodgy readings >55v and showing n-e. Old TT system.

Another thing I noticed was the meter had been changed in FEB this year, surely they have to check for an earth! Or are they just a bunch of muppets on a price that are not actually proper sparkies ?
Landlord is going to call local supplier and get put onto PME,

FYI DNO has no responsibility to supply an earth so if said meter readers came and fitted new meter and saw it was the customers own earth (TT) that is not their problem.
DNO has got a responsibility to maintain an earth that they supply so high Ze on T-N-S or T-N-C-S systems call them to rectify

Yeah your right earth is not responsibilty of DNO... but just thought it might have been common sense for them to check and maybe let customer know, or maybe not ?

it is the responsibility of the DNO not to supply electricity to a premises where the electrical instalation is unsafe. this comes under the electricity supply and continuity regs i believe. meter fitters however do not have the knowledge or eqt to take earth loop impedance readings. my mate is one of only 2 electrically qualified meter fitters for british gas in the south east. out of about 30.

Yes but as far as the DNO is concerned the consumer is responsible for their own earth in a TT system and are threfore not responsible for checking or testing its integrity

about the only thing i might use them for - a quick check on live metalwork

they don't see much duty

Just to follow up....

DNO went out to have look at converting to PME yesterday, and could believe that meter man didnt report the state of current cutout and lack of earthing, apparently for Western Power they are suppose to ring this through !! DNO very appoligetic to customer and have arranged for PME upgrade this Monday instead of having to wait 6 weeks....

I had it before when tennants were getting shocks of the kitchen worktops,
not a belt but more of a nasty tingle

discovered no earth continuity on ringmain. rewire part of it back to point where there was an earth and it solved the problem

the problem only occured when the new dishwasher was on, I can only assume this dishwasher was dumping to earth and it had nowhere to go, so found its way to the damp kitchen worktops

anyway solved the problem so happy days+

Well just got back...

Took all the fuses out and switched off, landlord is having to sort something out for tenants. One of tenants said they have been getting shocks for over a month and sometimes from the bath water :eek: So why did they only leave it until now to tell the landlord, crazy !! That place is a death trap.... sketchy original wall heaters in kitchen and bathroom, acient towel rail with wires hanging out in bathroom, the list goes on. And they've got 2 young kids in there. Also the old wylex CU is located outside the back door in a porch, but fully exposed to elements... all the fuses and screws were rusted in !

Whilst had cover off did a quick IR test L+N to E , on all the circuits to try and locate the internal fault/s. Ring, cooker and 2 x lighting circuits all these had less than 2m(Ohms).

Landlord is going to call local supplier and get put onto PME, should be ok flat upstairs has it. If they cant do this pretty soon will put an earth stake in, do CU change and find these faults.

So that it really, thanks for your advice anyway,

Sy

Hi

Not being funny, but when did the landlord last have a PIR done on this property? The installation surely didn't deteriate since the last tenants moved out?

Reply to shocks off pipework... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net