Discuss Shop units landlord supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

streamer

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone.
I have a client who has a contract to build some shop units and part of their contract is to provide the landlords electrical installation which he has asked me to do. This is some external wall lights around the perimeter of the building and the car park lighting supplied from the landlord meter which will be on the outside of the building.
The original plan for the external wall lights was to run steel conduit around the outside so the landlord supply would never actually enter the building. However, between the client and the architect, they have decided this would not look great and would prefer the cables to be run inside the building. I suspect cost may have something to do with it too.
My question is this - Is it okay to run a landlords lighting circuit through the two shop units given that they both have their own supplies?
Thanks

I guess the landlord would have reasonable access rights to them for any repairs, so that is not an issue.

I guess the safety concern comes from the possibility of someone doing work in a shop and cutting a cable that is not isolated as it comes off the landlord's supply?

I guess if it is SWA (or maybe Flexishield) so accidental damage is less likely and/or less chance of a shock, and has some labels in a few places to indicate it has another point of isolation, it should be OK. Others on here should have a bit more knowledge & experience though to answer in more detail.

Comments folks?

I guess the safety concern comes from the possibility of someone doing work in a shop and cutting a cable that is not isolated as it comes off the landlord's supply?
That was my main concern. I think I'll go back once the rest of the installation is done and add some labeling to their consumer units to say that there is a landlord supply circuit in the building.

Guidance note 3, page 25, 514.15.1 Alternative supply notice.

IET on site guide, page 61, 6.13.
Is that the correct usage for this notice.

Thought that was for solar and generators, i.e. something that is part of the installation and under the control of the occupant.

I'd feel more comfortable if this had to be internal if it was contained and labelled along its route, maybe in 20mm PVC conduit and dyno labelled every meter or so.

-×-

I have a rip out to make safe which has some similar landlords supplies, fire alarm, O/S lights etc..

My initial plan to was to disconnect everything from the board and wire in a 110V site panel so that everything could be pulled out. Now requires my presence on site as the routing of these landlords circuits is by no means obvious.

It says alternative supplies, does not mention Generators or Sola Panels, the label says:
WARNING
MULTIPLE SUPPLIES
ISOLATE ALL ELECTRICAL SUPPLIES
BEFORE CARRYING OUT WORK
ISOLANTE MAINS AT.................................
ISOLATE ALTERNATIVE SUPPLIES AT.....................

That's all she wrote.

Reply to Shop units landlord supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net