Discuss Show us your consumer unit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rewired house and changed the cu afterwards.

DSC_0116.JPG IMG-20190120-WA0001.jpeg DSC_0376.JPG

When I did last house around 1990 getting RCD's in side the consumer unit or fuse box not sure when the type tested type came out, was hard, and the RCBO was only around as a two unit width two pole device.

So two RCD's and two fuses boxes with MCB's replacing the fuses. Today there is no excuse for using RCD's the RCBO's have dropped in price and having just lost a freezer full of food when a RCD tripped simply not economical to fit RCD's feeding many MCB's any more.

But at what point does one upgrade? When you have a serviceable distribution unit at what point does one say this needs changing? And what do you do with the stuff removed which is OK, and as it was when new?

I've added an SWA feed to the sheds and a cooker circuit, and disconnected the old immersion heater and porch light feeds, but otherwise how it was when we moved in 9 years ago. It's awful inside. The way the "balcony" busbars are set up, there are half module gaps... I thought the installer had messed it up, but no, that's how Wylex designed it!

I'll change it... one day... :)

_20191013_144111.JPG

When I did last house around 1990 getting RCD's in side the consumer unit or fuse box not sure when the type tested type came out, was hard, and the RCBO was only around as a two unit width two pole device.

So two RCD's and two fuses boxes with MCB's replacing the fuses. Today there is no excuse for using RCD's the RCBO's have dropped in price and having just lost a freezer full of food when a RCD tripped simply not economical to fit RCD's feeding many MCB's any more.

But at what point does one upgrade? When you have a serviceable distribution unit at what point does one say this needs changing? And what do you do with the stuff removed which is OK, and as it was when new?
my solution (at home, i hasten to add), was to supply all garage circuits ( with 4 freezers on, and my bench and 'er indoors sauna) from a 40A MCB, no RCD. the 2 outside socket outlets are RCD sockets, just in case she cuts the mower cable again.

Let's see yours Tel.
can't do open box just yet. will do within a day or so. closed box be on here later.
[automerge]1570981567[/automerge]
as promised.
[automerge]1570982378[/automerge]
and i challenge anyone to get that CU in horizontally. as it was, it was tight .

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Are you Thomas magi in disguise?;)
I see lots of his favourite flexi copex coming from the top of the new board
Couldn't be bothered to clip or use trunking as it's a bit awkward where the cables come out so just used a bit of kopex instead, looks a bit like one of the robots from The Matrix

images.jpeg DSC_0383.JPG

Reply to Show us your consumer unit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net