Discuss Shower 9.5kw in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Leepy, without finding out the current carrying capacity of the cable which is always quite hard if we dont know which route the cable has taken and what thermal effects etc have to be taken into account.
As a rule i wouldnt install a 6mm2 t+e for a 9.5kw appliance,
I would have used 10mm2 t+e. If i was in your situation i would fit an 8kw shower and replace mcb/rcbo for a 32a, or replace the cable to a 10mm2 t+e if your keeping the same shower unit. If your keeping the same cable make sure you pull as much of the damaged stuff out before terminating and essential testing would be necessary to make sure the cable is still safe to use and that its got the correct protection. Oh and swap your pull switch. It may be that the existing 6mm2 cable is not capable of carrying the current required at full load so will become damaged/burnt before the protective device trips.

Doubt very much that this shower will be operated at anywhere near full load, ...not unless his sister has skin like leather!! ...lol!!! It's the same with most of these other high KW shower units. They just heat up the shower water a little quicker, as far as i can see.... lol!!

agree engineer54 but I have been to house where the shower had been left on all night ...... usually they're only on for a bit and not at full rated load but as you know you have to cover muppetry as well !!

I don' particually like the things myself, i've only experienced them once and that was only a 4.5KW unit last time i was in China. That was plenty hot enough for me, (or anybody else) and couldn't turn that thing up more than half way, so why they have 8.O, 8.5, 9.5, 10.5KW shower unit's i just don't know?? ...Seems like madness to me!!

I don' particually like the things myself, i've only experienced them once and that was only a 4.5KW unit last time i was in China. That was plenty hot enough for me, (or anybody else) and couldn't turn that thing up more than half way, so why they have 8.O, 8.5, 9.5, 10.5KW shower unit's i just don't know?? ...Seems like madness to me!!

Prefer a tank of hot water and a pump meself.....

Doesn't matter how many kWatts, in comparison to the above they're all.... In my best oiyrish, "shoite". Ps hope not too clise to bone mods!

it's a bit like having a 54" plasma TV in a 12ft square living room.just that it's 2" bigger than next door's.

Thats what I have and people are "amazed" when they ask me being an electrician why dont I have an electric shower

I know what you mean....lol!! I also don't particually like electric hobs either, much prefer gas, although i do like the new induction hobs which i fairly recently purchased in Cyprus. Normal electric hobs there just isn't any control over the heat. Even when you've finished cooking the bloody things are still hot enough to fry several eggs on...lol!!

I think you get a better flow rate with the higher Kw rated showers.Not had much experience with them though thankfully.My third leg unleashes more pressure than them things

I know what you mean....lol!! I also don't particually like electric hobs either, much prefer gas, although i do like the new induction hobs which i fairly recently purchased in Cyprus. Normal electric hobs there just isn't any control over the heat. Even when you've finished cooking the bloody things are still hot enough to fry several eggs on...lol!!
Hope you have bought the right pans to suit engineer 54, but as you mentioned earlier about the shower not reaching full load, Shouldnt you take precaution to make sure the cable can handle the load of the protective device?????#22

Last edited by a moderator:
Think you mean the protective device should protect the cable!! If that's the case, change the protective device to a 32A, .... What's the betting that, that 32A isn't going to trip, because you'll never see the full load being used on that shower unit!!

Why people buy these silly rated shower units is beyond me, they are just not needed to have a decent comfortable shower. But yes, if your silly enough to buy these high rated units, then you should be prepared to provide the cable and protective device to suit !!

Hope you have bought the right pans to suit engineer 54, but as you mentioned earlier about the shower not reaching full load, Shouldnt you take precaution to make sure the cable can handle the load of the protective device?????#22

I think we only had a couple of pans that didn't work with the induction hob!! They were replaced with pans that were suitable.

Have to say that the induction hob is as controlable as a gas hob, and much faster too!! And last but not least, when it's off it's Off, ...no latent heat to be worried about when you've finished cooking....lol!!!

Thats electromagnetism for you, Ive known 8.5 kw showers tripping on overload at 32amp. Jst belt and braces, thats all. not on a night out though lol.

Reply to Shower 9.5kw in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net