Discuss Shower on Ceiling Light Flickers - advice needed please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A s
Hello, I am not an electrician. I don't normally post on forums but I'm at breaking point with this situation and require some advice please.

Our new shower was installed earlier this year. Since it was installed when you press the new shower on the ceiling light in the bathroom flickers (strobe like) as does the ceiling lights on the landing and small bedroom (all on the right side of the house.)

No other lights flicker when the shower is on anywhere in the house and the bathroom light doesn't flicker at any other time when it is on (only when the shower is on.) We have changed the light bulb in bathroom and it's still flickering only when the shower is on.

When the shower is turned off the flickering stops immediately, however, the shower is on one consumer board and all ceiling lights are on a separate consumer board. We have been told the cable is correct for the connection of the shower.

With the old shower there was only a small dip in the ceiling light when it was turned on similar to when we put on our hoover and our downstairs table lamp dips in light once. We have been told this dip (or blink) of light is normal due to the load it uses.

We use a 25watt incandescent bulb in the bathroom. We use these bulbs as a family member has seizures to LED and fluorescent lights and can't use any other bulbs. We are aware they are no longer available to buy.

I've had 3 electricians out and also the local electric board to test equipment and they are sending us round in circles (electrician says everything is working normal and it's a supply issue and supply says it's a electricians issue as there are no supply faults.) Our meter doesn't reflect any issues so the electric supplier won't send any one out to look at their equipment other than the replace the existing meter.

We need to have a new hob and oven installed and the electrician has said we can't do that until we find what is causing the flickering issue, however, the electrician has said he cannot find the issue even though the flickering is visible and he has seen it. He has told us to keep a diary of when the flickering occurs (but it is only when the shower is turned on that it happens.)

The shower company cannot help us with this as they are only for installing and repairs even though we have told them it started when the new shower was installed.

Can anyone advise what I need to be either doing or asking because I'm at a loss on what to do and just want to get the house back to our normality again. I am not going to do any work on this as I am not an electrician.

Many thanks for your time with my query.
stab again in the dark, did any of Electricians you have had to look at your problem, give you any indication as the the size of the cable feeding your Shower?
Do you have an Isolation Switch either wall or ceiling mounted?
Did they check any of the connections at either the Shower, Isolation Switch or Consumers unit (fuse board) ?
Or did they just visit, um and ah and charge for the call out?
Checking the connections for tightness would be my first thing to check. Don't know if anyone has asked the question, but where in the UK are you?

Last edited:
Should you wish to do this, please be aware that a change in the requirements means that the bulbs are not intended for domestic use as stated on the packaging.

Retailers are not knowingly allowed to sell them for domestic use - but it is completely legal to use them for domestic use. The legal changes were regarding import, manufacture and sale of incadescent bulbs. There is no law forbidding individuals from using them in their homes.

A s

stab again in the dark, did any of Electricians you have had to look at your problem, give you any indication as the the size of the cable feeding your Shower?
Did they check any of the connections at either the Shower, Isolation Switch or Consumers unit (fuse board) ?
Checking the connections for tightness would be my first thing to check. Don't know if anyone has asked the question, but where in the UK are you?
A s

OP not trying to arrange a date or anything, just to say if you are not that far from me I would be willing to take a look at the issues with your Shower, for the price of the fuel used.
You can PM me if you wish to remain anonymous, I won't tell.

Last edited:
Right Murdoch, the shower company are buck passing cuz they don't have a clue, fit the shower it gets hot, submit invoice, anything wrong someone else's problem.
Fillet Steak, chips, Mushrooms and Onions for Tea so I could be away for a while.

To Moderators or Admin: Please could this thread be deleted or if not please could you delete all my posts as I no longer want to post here. Please respect my wishes at this difficult time with my electrics and please delete my posts from this forum and delete any stored details. Thank you. (I am deleting my account too.)

To Moderators or Admin: Please could this thread be deleted or if not please could you delete all my posts as I no longer want to post here. Please respect my wishes at this difficult time with my electrics and please delete my posts from this forum and delete any stored details. Thank you. (I am deleting my account too.)
Why? people have been very helpful, I even offered to visit if it wasn't to far.

Things change; bearing in mind posting stuff on the tin'ternet can last forever, some people get a bit unnerved sometimes.
But why? the OP has obviously bee sh-t on but if you have no electrical experience then that's no your fault, cant recall anyone disrespecting his questioning, far from it everyone has tried to help. Human Nature I guess.

I would guess that one of the companies involved has been reading this thread?
But then again if they have screwed the OP then why close the post? if the shower Bods have done a naughty then they should be exposed, regardless of what the Op says. if only to stop it happening to any other poor customer.

maybe he's been abducted by aliens with superior knowledge. in exchange for the contents of his brain, they will fix his lighting problem.

Reply to Shower on Ceiling Light Flickers - advice needed please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net