Discuss Signing off jobs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cj24

Hi how do I get to the point of signing jobs off? Iv been told loads of things but it seems to be a grey area, do I need to be with an electrical body or not? And do I need 2391 which i am currently doing, can I just get part p'd and how do I get this,

Well i do little private jobs but am hoping to set up on my own, but I obv need to test my installation and sign off the test sheets, how can I do this and what do I need to work in people's houses, obv going to sort insurance and tax etc but electrically wise what do I need?

Mate,

This question is asked almost every other day on here. If you have a look via the search engine, you'll find plenty of helpful posts. If you scroll down this page too, you'll also find related posts.

Cheers

Most of this is probably known to you

Any electrical installation that a competent person carries out needs to be tested and the results recorded on a certificate issued

The certificates used are either the genuine IEE model forms or all singing and dancing certificates compiled by others ( niceic,napit,elecsa and uncle tom cobbly and all )

A competent person is someone who believes they have the skill to do electrical installation

There are registration bodies who assess the competence of a firm or an individual and if successfull they are registered with that scheme
For electrical installation,domestic commercial industrial, it is not necessary to belong to any scheme
Without registration the firm or person may find work difficult to obtain, because the customer may specify that belonging to a scheme like Niceic is required by them,

In the domestic market,there is a building regulation called part p
Part p says that most major electrical work in dwellings need to be notified to building control before being carried out,a fee is payable dependant on the size of job and where you live

There is another way to comply with the above domestic notification rule
A person or firm can register as a competent person with the niceic napit or elecsa,they are assessed by them and if successful they can self certify that the work they carry out in dwellings complies with building regulation part p and they avoid having to notify building control or having to pay the notification fee

So in a nutshell,anyone can do electrical installation,anyone can sign a certificate but proof of competency may be an advantage in industrial,commercial and domestic installation

Only thing I would point out following Des's excellent post is that even if you belong to a scheme you still have to notify B/C any work that comes under part P...the difference is that the scheme provider notifies for you for a very small fee...(couple of quid)....as opposed to being taken to the cleaners if you are not registered with a scheme and notify yourself.

Most of this is probably known to you

Any electrical installation that a competent person carries out needs to be tested and the results recorded on a certificate issued

The certificates used are either the genuine IEE model forms or all singing and dancing certificates compiled by others ( niceic,napit,elecsa and uncle tom cobbly and all )

A competent person is someone who believes they have the skill to do electrical installation

There are registration bodies who assess the competence of a firm or an individual and if successfull they are registered with that scheme
For electrical installation,domestic commercial industrial, it is not necessary to belong to any scheme
Without registration the firm or person may find work difficult to obtain, because the customer may specify that belonging to a scheme like Niceic is required by them,

In the domestic market,there is a building regulation called part p
Part p says that most major electrical work in dwellings need to be notified to building control before being carried out,a fee is payable dependant on the size of job and where you live

There is another way to comply with the above domestic notification rule
A person or firm can register as a competent person with the niceic napit or elecsa,they are assessed by them and if successful they can self certify that the work they carry out in dwellings complies with building regulation part p and they avoid having to notify building control or having to pay the notification fee

So in a nutshell,anyone can do electrical installation,anyone can sign a certificate but proof of competency may be an advantage in industrial,commercial and domestic installation

even tho Q this is ask every day, its nice to see people still giving detailed post like this
spot on des

Reply to Signing off jobs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net