Discuss Signing off works in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How are the 2 in anyway linked? There have been millions of electrical installations done before part P that havent ever caused a problem.

Now having foundations dug and supports to existing structures are completly different in that the council will have a stryctural engineer on hand to advise and pass everything as it is installed.

Do they send round a electrical engineer to ensure that the cable calcs are correct, that every inch of cable is installed correctly, check that all the test results are actully acurate. Or do they send round someone once to have abrief look and then accept the certs at the end without batting a eyelid?

Their linked because it's a load of money you pay to LBC for very little work on their half. I paid someone to design and come up with the drawings for my ext', including sizing steels etc. LBC said thank very much, that's £150. You can go ahead, lets us know when you start work, ohh that'll be another £226. So I get reputable builder with years of experience, he digs the footings. LBC peer into hole, yep thats deep enough, yep that's enough concrete, yep you've laid the dam proof course etc etc. LBC, I wanna install some new pvc windows. Are you part of Fensa, No. Well that's £81, ta very much, we'll have a butchers when we sign off your extension.
My LBC charge £440 + vat to come and inspect electrical work, probably with the same interest as above. So yep I think £84 is cheap, still a rip off though.

As I said, for the money ypu paid just for the structure you get a structural engineer who will be check the calculations of the support structures, knows the lay of the ground and knows exactly what to look for on the depth of the footings.

As for the Part P side you get sweet FA for the money and. There is no need for local knowledge unless it is a listed building, licensed premises etc, beside most of those dont fall under Part P!

The problem with all this bureaucracy is it will come round to bite itself in the ar5e. Same with health and safety. At the end of the day, as Dillb said, there have been millions of installs which have never caused a problem.

I did an EICR for a friend recently - he had an extension done in 2010, no certs issued for the electrics, don't know who did the work. He was trying to sell the house, and BC had no cert for the electrics so wouldn't sign it off as complete.

I did an EICR for the two new circuits (ring circuit and lighting), sent it to BC and they passed it off and my friend sold the house with no problems.

I am not a Part P registered installer (used to be with ELECSA until I saw the light 2 years ago), and my EICR was hardly worth the paper it was written on as I tested 4 sockets, 2 light switches and 6 downlights.

The rest of the house was a 1930s semi detached with 3 bedrooms, rewired probably in the 80s or 90s, but with no certificates for any of that wiring, just purely for the 2 new circuits installed in the extension. What a complete farce!

Reply to Signing off works in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net