Discuss Single phase to three phase inverters in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sinetronix

Hi there.

I have been looking at one or two inverters.

Does anyone know if the Invertek Optidrive range is a good one to go for? It does seem a little cheapish for a 3hp drive.

I know this isn't the best way around it, but for people who don't have a three phase supply and just want to run one or two things, then needs must. I did fit one some time ago for a lathe, but I didn't supply the drive, so can't remember which one it was.

Thanks.

Hi, yes it's to drive the motor. The motor will run at constant speed, so the inverter can come up at 50hz right away.
I use Invertek myself, the E2's are not output protected but are cheap the more expensive range is output protected and worth the extra cash - If you are not familiar with VSD's then they are a good basic starter with a quick set-up and play option but you need to understand the motors needs and requirements + the EU directives on Electro-Magnetic Interference before you start.
Do you have any experience in this field ?

I use Invertek myself, the E2's are not output protected but are cheap the more expensive range is output protected and worth the extra cash - If you are not familiar with VSD's then they are a good basic starter with a quick set-up and play option but you need to understand the motors needs and requirements + the EU directives on Electro-Magnetic Interference before you start.
Do you have any experience in this field ?

I may not describe myself as an expert in this field, but I have set up drives in the past. I don't need anything flash or fancy, so a good basic one like this should do.

As a bit of background, just so that you know I'm not a complete numpty, I used to set up Varcon drives, we were running anything from 50kw to 150kw. These were big water cooled units. The parameters were prescribed by the motor designers, but of course had to be right for what we were doing. But I'd never say I'm an expert, there's always something new I can learn.

If you have experience then no worries .. just avoid the E2 budget range unless you situe is unlikely to see a short circuit fault on the output due to flexing cables or adverse conditions... like I said if you don't require an advanced control and monitoring set up then go for it... just remembr to follow the installation guide regarding screening of motor cables, out of interests what is the motor doing.

Last edited:
One of the motors in mind is a motor for a compressor. It's to run at full speed, though a soft start from a drive would be a distinct advantage.

Thanks for the information so far. It'll be worth me looking into output protection.

It's one of the first things I forget.

It's a lot more fun the other way around though...I've seen it done by a temp we had, the motor was hotter then the sun with the resin pouring out of it.

Last edited:
I assume you have clarified the motor isn't a star/delta start motor where the windings will be 415/690 so not suitable for your standard 1-3 ph VSD, a lot of compressors are star/delta start.

I'll check, but can't say I've seen any which aren't 230/400 (unless it's a huge industrial motor for large machines). A lot of these are DOL. But worth noting, thanks.

It's one of the first things I forget.

It's a lot more fun the other way around though...I've seen it done by a temp we had, the motor was hotter then the sun with the resin pouring out of it.

I bet that smelt bad with all that melting resin :laugh3:

Reply to Single phase to three phase inverters in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net