Discuss skts x 2 earth terminals in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been 2nd fixing today, which i've not done for many years. I've noticed that both Volex 13A twin & single sockets have 2 x earth terminals. Is that now standard? I thought that requirement was only applied to sockets that served a lot of IT equipment. Even years ago i would sleeve the earths separately, but then into one terminal. Is there any electrical reason for the change? Thanks

Been 2nd fixing today, which i've not done for many years. I've noticed that both Volex 13A twin & single sockets have 2 x earth terminals. Is that now standard? I thought that requirement was only applied to sockets that served a lot of IT equipment. Even years ago i would sleeve the earths separately, but then into one terminal. Is there any electrical reason for the change? Thanks

Just so the socket can be used for any situation.
Just get into the habit of using both terminals when doing a ring main, it only takes a few seconds more.

Just so the socket can be used for any situation.
Just get into the habit of using both terminals when doing a ring main, it only takes a few seconds more.
Ohh i've no problem with it at all. I've used them both today. Even bent each wire earth wire back 3 times to ensure good connection/strength. Just wondered why they are being introduced

If you used both terminals for the ring main the earth within the socket would be completing the cpc continuity. I always put both cpcs in one terminal and the other terminal for the back box bonding.

If you used both terminals for the ring main the earth within the socket would be completing the cpc continuity. I always put both cpcs in one terminal and the other terminal for the back box bonding.
Right, understand. so no requirement as such then to use both separately on a ring. I suppose if both used could make fault finding bit easier as you could disconnect 1 x earth as opposed to untwisting/ separating the 2 cpc's

There is only one CPC in a ring final? You would use two protective conductors in a circuit with high protective conductor current?

Right, understand. so no requirement as such then to use both separately on a ring. I suppose if both used could make fault finding bit easier as you could disconnect 1 x earth as opposed to untwisting/ separating the 2 cpc's

I never twist, i always sleeve them separately then put both in the same terminal. Tighten until it squeaks with pleasure then tug test :)

I didn't say you should, its just a habit to get into that hardly takes any extra time.

But why get into the habit at all? I am not trying to be smart or funny with thee if it is coming across that way. I just don't understand the reasoning. Which is true for alot of the stuff i read on here and 99 times out of 100 i come away having learnt something so i thought that may be the case here!

So when you do a IT related circuit (assuming you do commercial) you are already in the habit - one of my colleagues has been heard muttering to himself when on commercial installs because he has 'got into the rhythm' and then forgot to use both terminals.

Never done one mate! The bulk of my work is domestic and sub contract. Interesting to know :) What sort of earth leakage do you get on commercial IT circuits. I did some aesthetic lighting on a large health centre a couple of years ago and noticed they had run a 4mm earth to all of the sockets even though they had been wired in T+E

So when you do a IT related circuit (assuming you do commercial) you are already in the habit - one of my colleagues has been heard muttering to himself when on commercial installs because he has 'got into the rhythm' and then forgot to use both terminals.
There does appear to be a misinterpretation of the requirements for 2 separate CPCs for such circuits.
One conductor run in a ring formation and terminated at separate terminals does not equate to two CPCs.
It needs two separate conductors, each connected to a separate terminal in order to comply.

ugh, twisted earths, the bane of fault finding / testing!
Exactly, never have liked twisting conductors together. As an apprentice years ago, it was the norm to twist (was imperial then) conductors together. When metric cables came out, many electricians still twisted conductors together. In my opinion very bad practice. I doubt if many twist conductors together nowdays! Or do they ?

Never done one mate! The bulk of my work is domestic and sub contract. Interesting to know :) What sort of earth leakage do you get on commercial IT circuits. I did some aesthetic lighting on a large health centre a couple of years ago and noticed they had run a 4mm earth to all of the sockets even though they had been wired in T+E

The circuits have never been 'loaded up' while I have been on site, someone else plugs the computers in (normally). If we are not working to a designers drawing we base our installs on what we have known designers to do, limiting the number of machines on each circuit etc, and once again we don't get involved in plugging the machines in (normally). We have never been called back because of a problem, so the designers / our copying must be working OK.

Reply to skts x 2 earth terminals in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net