Discuss Sky+ HD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

monkeyelectric

Afternoon all, what coax cable is to be used with sky+ hd installations? is it normal shotgun cable or does it need to be some special hd all singing all dancing cable? cheers

I got told by a chap from bang and olufson that shotgun cable is useless for sky+ if it's over 10 metres as the shotgun cable is significantly smaller so more signal drop. I know a man who works for virgin and he gets me there top quality stuff on 1000ft drums for I tiny sum! Shhhhh keep that one quiet

you need rg6 cable not rg59 or any standard tv coax,i once joined a rg6 with a rg59 all seemed ok,but some channels wouldnt work,was all to do with the cable to my embarresment when the virgin tv guy found the joint..oops:eek:

All I can say is the man from B & O is a twit with an a. Twin (shotgun) cable can handle double that cable run distance quite easily. Sky+HD can be installed using any good quality 75 ohm, double screened coaxial cable. The only reason many installers, including sky, use twin is that it is easier and quicker than running 2 separate feeds.

Thanks for all the replys guys, installed it all including a run for upstairs bedroom utilising a magic eye and got it all working pucker, first time i've installed it using the other 2 connections on the dish as a a multiroom installation, it works well

Reply to Sky+ HD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Client currently has a DB in his outhouse. It feeds a pool pump and an air source heat pump. It is currently being supplied using a 4mm T&E cable...
Replies
Views
Hi, thanks for reading this. Ive been asked to look at a job where the DNO connection (single phase 80A TT) is a long run to the final circuits...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, Looking for some advice on first fix for sky and freesat TV, I've quoted a WF100 shotgun and a single to both bedrooms and lounge...
Replies
Views
I'm installing mag-locks and fire door hold-open magnets at the moment and I'm wondering if any of the cable should be fire performance cable...
Replies
Views
I have had these lights installed by a contractor whose work is normally very good. He has not connected the earth in each fitting as there is a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock