Discuss Small industrial unit EICR qiestion in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andydaley140609

Hi, I am new to this forum I'm just after a little advice regarding an EICR I am doing and wondered if somebody could help me.

I am just completing an EICR for a small industrial unit. It has a 4 way 3 phase distribution board, with the old type M5 MCB's. There is an 100A 1361 2b fuse for each phase. 16mm main tails.

There are 4 single phase circuits only, 2 lighting circuits, 1 ring main and 1 water heater. After performing all the tests, Ze, PFC, earth loops, ring finals, all results are fine and within limits.

Because the board is so old, there is no way of adding RCD protection to the socket outlets without adding a new board. I was always under the impression that sockets do not have to be RCD protected if being only used by skilled persons. And that lack of RCD protection would be a C3. Would lack of RCD protection be a C2 or C3 in this case?

Also the mains tails are 16mm2 and the fuses are 100A, would the fuses need to be downgraded to 80A? Obviously at the moment there are only 4 circuits, would it be the future electrician who installs any additional circuits responsibility or should it fail on the EICR as it is?

Many thanks :)

You cannot fail an EICR, the result can only be satisfactory or unsatisfactory.

If you look in the model forms at the back of your big yellow book you will find a page of guidance for the person carrying out the EICR, this explains the situation with RCDs and coding.

Instead of going by what you have always understood it would be better to read the regulations and base your decisions on hard facts.

In such an installation it is by far preferable to have RCD sockets rather than RCD protection over the whole circuit.

my opinion on the tails is that if they show no signs of thermal damage, give them a C3 or a comment that upgrading to 25mm would be advised if the installation load is increased.

Thanks for the advice davesparks, I will give it a read. Whats your opinion on the sizing of the mains tails?

Not enough information

Is it a DNO supply or private supply?
Have you confirmed the rating of the fuses or is that just what the sticker on the cutout says?

As it stands I see nothing to comment on,

Not cut the seals, I'm just going off the labels on the carriers. I'd like to know what code this would be, if any. There are only 4 lights fittings, a water heater and a ring main installed so the current installation could get nowhere near 100amps per phase! It's just the fact that the 16mm tails have 100a fuses, should this be mentioned on the EICR and if so would it have a code?

To determine the rating of the fuses, you have to contact the DNO, or cut the seals (not advisable).
If you do contact the DNO, make a note of the name of anyone you find helpful for future reference.

Reply to Small industrial unit EICR qiestion in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net