Discuss Small Off Grid System help please in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

John Allen

Folks
i have been asked to look at installing a small off grid PV System of approx 360W to provide power for a 12v water pump. I have no problem with sourcing panels but could anyone point me in the direction of a supplier of batteries and controller units please?
Thanks

Wind and Sun or Aire & Sun. Be aware you might want to buy 12V panels so you can use a cheap 12V charge regulator to avoid buying expensive MPPT charge regulator.

Are you running this 24/7? I have been doing a lot of work on this type of set up so happy to help out. You say 360w system. Is that the load or the array?

The idea of this is to provide irrigation for a plant bed using a resevoir of run off water, I am going on site tomorrow so will have a greater understanding after this. The 360W is for the array, the estimated daily Wh required is 1500. I have a spec from my client which I am happy to share with you and any assitance would be greatly received solarfred.
Thanks for all the asistance thus far.

Happy to help but your demand and supply is way off! 360 wp is going to give you maybe 20amps on a good sunny day if you use 4 x 90wp panels in parallel. During the winter you will get maybe 4/5 hours of decent light and that will not give you 5 amps per panel as it may only be less than 0.5 amp if no sun. 4 hours at 0.5 amp is not going to touch the load.
Let me know the spec and we can discuss options.

SolarFred---> My father in law is after a solar panel set up to trickle charge the caravan battery so he can leave the fridge running for a few days at a time, any idea on the sort of set up i could look for?

Thanks

I do kits = panel/fixing/cable/controller/fusekit. What is the fridge drawing and for how long? 12 volt system? How big is the battery? It may draw a good amount of current even if kept closed. A trickle charge may not be enough if the engine is not charging the system. Any other loads attached?
Let me know.

Folks
i have been asked to look at installing a small off grid PV System of approx 360W to provide power for a 12v water pump. I have no problem with sourcing panels but could anyone point me in the direction of a supplier of batteries and controller units please?
Thanks

Hi John,

You would obviously need a good battery for power storage and a good charge controller for controlling your system. You can take help of a good solar system installer who can get you the complete system mounted and operational. You can visit the website for hiring a good installer in your area at www(dot)solarelectricsupply(dot)com

I do kits = panel/fixing/cable/controller/fusekit. What is the fridge drawing and for how long? 12 volt system? How big is the battery? It may draw a good amount of current even if kept closed. A trickle charge may not be enough if the engine is not charging the system. Any other loads attached?
Let me know.

Thanks,

He has a brand new caravan coming in a few weeks, so no point looking at existing one, so il go and get the info when it arrives and get all required info and contact you to see what you can offer!

Reply to Small Off Grid System help please in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net