Discuss Sockets Keeping Tripping Help... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

xcuse the beer typos.it's almost mye beddibireis time.

Hi guys, we think we have found the fault. My daughter has a light on her desk in a bedroom. This is on a double socket. The light switches on and off okay but when we opened the socket (electricity off) it revealed that the black wire was burnt! It is this that is tripping everything off. We’ve unplugged the light and made the light safe until tomorrow when a local electrician can have a further look.
Currently the washer is running at the moment with no faults after causing so much trouble for the past few days.

Thanks everyone for your responses

Hi guys, we think we have found the fault. My daughter has a light on her desk in a bedroom. This is on a double socket. The light switches on and off okay but when we opened the socket (electricity off) it revealed that the black wire was burnt! It is this that is tripping everything off. We’ve unplugged the light and made the light safe until tomorrow when a local electrician can have a further look.
Currently the washer is running at the moment with no faults after causing so much trouble for the past few days.

Thanks everyone for your responses

Nice one!
Get a new socket fitted.

Well an EICR clarify the condition of the OP's installation, nullifying the need for changing bits here and there, or do you disagree with that as well?

There is no need for changing bits here and there whether an Eicr is carried out or not, having one carried out will not nullify a homeowners knee-jerk reaction of replacing an appliance which appears to have caused a fault.

In this case carrying out an EICR will not help the problem of the tripping fault, it will just give the customer a report which identifies that there is a fault which requires further investigation.

The OP seems to have done a terrific amount of replacement,substitution,swapping,and dismantling....if i was to be asked if i thought they are now going to commission an EICR,i would guess not ;)

Reply to Sockets Keeping Tripping Help... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net