Discuss Sockets on/in worktops in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

silentboarder69

Hi guys,
does anyone know the reg for sitting sockets into kitchen worktops? I'm aware they'll need to be 300mm away from sink etc, but all I can find in my guide is that they need to be 150mm above the worktop.
My client wants to mount the sockets at 45degrees on the back of the work top. The guide says the 150mm is to stop damage to the flex entering a plug. As the sockets will be at 45, is this sufficient?

Thanks,

Rick

bench trunking as seen in schools ect dont fancy it in my kitchen Not only flex to consider but mrs Jones cleaning work top

does anyone know the reg for sitting sockets into kitchen worktops? I'm aware they'll need to be 300mm away from sink etc, but all I can find in my guide is that they need to be 150mm above the worktop.*
* My client wants to mount the sockets at 45degrees on the back of the work top. The guide says the 150mm ...?

There are no specific regs for siting socket outlets in kitchens. It comes under external influences - so you dont want it sat directly behind a tap etc. It is up to the Designer to make sure they comply.
What guide are you using?
One of the Building Regs books says sockets should be 300mm from sinks, but I have never heard of 150mm above before.
The 45 degrees doesnt sound a problem to me.
Alan.

Hi guys,
many thanks for your responses, they've been very helpful.

Re where the 150mm came from, it's from the Electricians Guide to the regulations, in the special locations chapter under kitchens.

Rick

Get the right angled trunking and the installation can look great, get the wrong stuff and it can look a real eye sore. Have a look at Marshal Tufnell models, used them myself in a friends kitchen earlier this year, but positioned under the wall units rather on the worktop itself...

EDIT...... added photo's

STA60966.jpg

STA60968.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the right angled trunking and the installation can look great, get the wrong stuff and it can look a real eye sore. Have a look at Marshal Tufnell models, used them myself in a friends kitchen earlier this year, but positioned under the wall units rather on the worktop itself...

EDIT...... added photo's

STA60966.jpg

STA60968.jpg

You've got to be kidding me?

I'd be selling The Big Issue if I put that in my kitchen!

Well, there's no accounting for taste is there!?

I'd go for the gear Mayfair posted. It's the best of a bad bunch IMO. (I'm talking about appearance not quality).

Hi guys,
does anyone know the reg for sitting sockets into kitchen worktops? I'm aware they'll need to be 300mm away from sink etc, but all I can find in my guide is that they need to be 150mm above the worktop.
My client wants to mount the sockets at 45degrees on the back of the work top. The guide says the 150mm is to stop damage to the flex entering a plug. As the sockets will be at 45, is this sufficient?

Thanks,

Rick

Regulation 553.1.6 is basically dealing with height, though it does not give an actual figure, as for the 300mm from a sink, it was in the 16th edition I think, or maybe the 15th, at my age all these reg editions flow into one, but was omitted because of RCD protection.

Reply to Sockets on/in worktops in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net