Discuss Solar iboost panel dead in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, had solariboost for around 4 years, noticed other day couldn't hear it so looked at panel and nothing, went to the sender unit and that's fine it's flashing evey 10 seconds as it should so what could the fault be? Any help or advice appreciated as don't want to get ripped off. Thanks

An immersion heater can fail due to build up of lime, and as an electrician I would not want to change one, in fact I have asked a plumber to change mine, as it is too short, and does not heat up much water, there is some cross over, but not sure if a plumber or electrician is the best option?

May be best to get a firm which has both.

An immersion heater can fail due to build up of lime, and as an electrician I would not want to change one, in fact I have asked a plumber to change mine, as it is too short, and does not heat up much water, there is some cross over, but not sure if a plumber or electrician is the best option?

May be best to get a firm which has both.
The emersion in the loft is working fine still getting hot water, it's just the solariboost not working

If nothing then looking at loss of power, switched off, fuse blown, MCB/RCD/RCBO tripped etc.
Found out that our water is heated by the heat pump and the booster from the solar, our electrician thinks whole booster box gone as fuse on outside not in box kept blowing. So had enough so just not going to bother with a new booster box as over 300 and then find someone to fit it all. I have hot water.

If nothing then looking at loss of power, switched off, fuse blown, MCB/RCD/RCBO tripped etc.
Found out that our water is heated by the heat pump and the booster from the solar, our electrician thinks whole booster box gone as fuse on outside not in box kept blowing. So had enough so just not going to bother with a new booster box as over 300 and then find someone to fit it all. I have hot water.

I have to admit my iboost+ has not been as good as expected, although not the fault of the iboost+ it is simply the immersion heater is not long enough.

The point is that now in the summer the central heating boiler will not be used, the iboost+ does nothing in the winter, only the summer, as to how much oil I use to burn over the summer not a clue, but likely I will need to live to a 100 to get the money back from solar panel install.

I have to admit my iboost+ has not been as good as expected, although not the fault of the iboost+ it is simply the immersion heater is not long enough.

The point is that now in the summer the central heating boiler will not be used, the iboost+ does nothing in the winter, only the summer, as to how much oil I use to burn over the summer not a clue, but likely I will need to live to a 100 to get the money back from solar panel install.
Our electrician couldn't work out why fuse kept blowing, so we left it switched off and just have the heat pump kick in when the imersion tank needs it. The the booster did save money but not loads

Our electrician couldn't work out why fuse kept blowing
That seems rather odd, are you sure he was an electrician? There seems to be very little in the iboost to cause a fuse to blow, far more likely down to the immersion heater, however if an immersion heater fails more likely it would trip the RCD or RCBO than the fuse, unless you are in a very old house without that protection.

I went to the manual to check, I was rather surprised not to see a requirement for RCD protection. All it says is 16 amp MCB or 13 amp fuse. Since it uses DC I have actually wondered what type of RCD should be used.

That seems rather odd, are you sure he was an electrician? There seems to be very little in the iboost to cause a fuse to blow, far more likely down to the immersion heater, however if an immersion heater fails more likely it would trip the RCD or RCBO than the fuse, unless you are in a very old house without that protection.

I went to the manual to check, I was rather surprised not to see a requirement for RCD protection. All it says is 16 amp MCB or 13 amp fuse. Since it uses DC I have actually wondered what type of RCD should be used.
He said could be to do with immersion but the fuse he said was not the one in the I boost but the box under that it goes into, Sorry I'm not technically minded but it's just the box that you switch on and off which goes up to the booster.
Electrician was also confused as if it was immersion then how come it works when heat pump kicks in, I just said leave it as at least we have hot water

Since answering seen this video on repairing the iboost, not some thing I would tattle, but it does give an insight to what is inside it.
I had same problem bridge rectify short cct,fan l felt bearings worn so replaced that also thought sink not getting sufficient cooling cause br to fail.

Reply to Solar iboost panel dead in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net