Discuss Some technical help please. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Damian Petsas

Ive just completed my first Domestic Pir and come across some odd values for r1+r2 and for insulation resistance on a fair few of the circuits. I would really appreciate some guidance with this to put my mind at ease.

Ring final circuit values ranging between 0.73 -0.92 ohms and getting 0.32 M ohms for my insulation resistance for phase to neutral ???? or even what would seen dead 0.01M ohms. My main concern is that on most circuits when testing insulation resistance i was getting a odd reading for one test and then a passable one for the other??

Ally guidance and wise knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks guys .

Your IR suggests either a breakdown in the insulation or something still plugged in. The continuity readings don't mean anything really mate, how long is the circuit?

Sound like you could have a few issues,
1- did you remove all items from sockets and lamps etc
2 - It is actually an EICR not PIR
3- what are your issues with R1 R2

I think i got everything disconnected could the neon on a faceplate cause it?? or lamps connected in a lighting circuit even if tested at 250v

so if i remove all lamps that should solve my issue over the ir on lighting circuit then?? i take it i gottal link out dimmers too( ball ache)

- - - Updated - - -

I know i mush come across useless but thought 250 v was to allow for testing such accessories without disconnection

On an eicr you can test L+N together against CPC. You normally do a soft test @ 250 to check for remaining loads before the 500 test. They don't like it up em you know.

i have mainly been doing commercial install works and v v little testing but gotta start somewhere i suppose. thanks for the headsup Geofsd so the values varying between 0.73-0.91 are ok?

so the values varying between 0.73-0.91 are ok?
It's not tooooooo bad.

If you mean these are the results at different sockets being tested with a plug-in tester lead then I would suspect the socket contacts or the switches.

r1 of 0.73 and r2 of 1.21 is perfect for 2.5/1.5.

Reply to Some technical help please. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net