• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Something I haven’t seen before in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
Ceiling heating ........... beware where you drill holes putting up lights or adding downlights

Charlie_

Electrician's Arms
It has long been decommissioned..
All controls have been removed.
What voltage did it run at?
It is made from some kind of black cloth with those copper strips along the edges.. Did the black cloth heat up?

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
voltage would have been 230v .........

How old is the property?

Dustydazzler

Regular EF Member
Ceiling heating mats , 240v

still see Load of flats still have and use this in my area

think it was a fad thing back in the 1980s

Charlie_

Electrician's Arms
Yes I think the property was built in the 80s
So all those exposed terminals are 240v?
Possibly fed through an isolating transformer?

wirepuller

Forum Mentor
They were straight 230v, the black material heats up and is sandwiched between plastic sheet. Back in the day there used to be about 1" of insulation over the top. Not surprisingly the 'fad' didn't last long. Probably one of the worst ideas of all time. Similar mats are still used for vivarium heaters etc.

Charlie_

Electrician's Arms
Probably a good money spinning gimmick back in the day..
Similar to say those voltage optimisers a few years ago.

freddo

Regular EF Member
There are quite a few around this area, never seen any still in use. Certainly seems like a terrible design.

freddo

Regular EF Member
No idea on power ratings, 2 systems had 15A thermostats to control them, one in each room.

I would expect plasterboard to be quite thermally insulating?

Charlie_

Electrician's Arms
Yes I also thought that about the plasterboard goving a poor heat transfer..
One of my theories was that it was some sort of mesh system created by a techno geek haha

Rpa07

4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix!
Electrician's Arms
It would play havoc with your WiFi signal, if still used today.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.