Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Spur from boiler circuit in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi. I am wanting to install a regular single 13A socket (with RCD protection) near my boiler to power a Raspberry Pi, which draws comfortably less than 1A.

The boiler is on its own dedicated circuit protected by a 5A MCB at the CU and a 3A fused double-pole isolation switch next to the boiler itself. Boiler manual states power consumption of 152W so also less than 1A.

Is there any reason why I cannot add this new socket? And should I spur from the supply or load side of the isolation switch? Obviously the MCB (and/or switch fuse) would trip if anything more power-hungry was plugged into the new socket, but it will be inside a cupboard in the corner of a room, so wouldn't be much use for anything else anyway!

Thanks in advance! :D

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
That is not a suitable way of powering a socket.
You could put another fcu on the same circuit and that would be ok.

Reactions: DPG

Wilko

-
Esteemed
Arms
Hi - the cable from the Consumer Unit may be the small 1mm type that’s used for lighting and it’s been repurposed to the boiler with a 3A fuse. We should not put a normal 13A outlet on that type of cable, sorry. An Electrician could tell you which cable has been installed and hopefully give you a cheap upgrade path.

Thanks for the responses, I understand. I will call someone in as it's not quite as straightforward as I was hoping. Hopefully there will be a quick and simple (and cheap!) solution. Thanks again (y)

Reply to Spur from boiler circuit in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net