Discuss Spur from boiler circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. I am wanting to install a regular single 13A socket (with RCD protection) near my boiler to power a Raspberry Pi, which draws comfortably less than 1A.

The boiler is on its own dedicated circuit protected by a 5A MCB at the CU and a 3A fused double-pole isolation switch next to the boiler itself. Boiler manual states power consumption of 152W so also less than 1A.

Is there any reason why I cannot add this new socket? And should I spur from the supply or load side of the isolation switch? Obviously the MCB (and/or switch fuse) would trip if anything more power-hungry was plugged into the new socket, but it will be inside a cupboard in the corner of a room, so wouldn't be much use for anything else anyway!

Thanks in advance! :D

That is not a suitable way of powering a socket.
You could put another fcu on the same circuit and that would be ok.

Reactions: DPG
Hi - the cable from the Consumer Unit may be the small 1mm type that’s used for lighting and it’s been repurposed to the boiler with a 3A fuse. We should not put a normal 13A outlet on that type of cable, sorry. An Electrician could tell you which cable has been installed and hopefully give you a cheap upgrade path.

Thanks for the responses, I understand. I will call someone in as it's not quite as straightforward as I was hoping. Hopefully there will be a quick and simple (and cheap!) solution. Thanks again (y)

Reply to Spur from boiler circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I'm having a new boiler fitted in a new location. I need to provide power for the boiler which I'm looking to do myself. Boiler: Ideal Logic...
Replies
Views
We have an outdoor socket that is hard wired into the ground floor power circuit and protected with an rcd in the consumer unit. I now plan to add...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, newbie posting! Does the following sound ok... Existing circuit: SOCKET on a ring -> spur to SWITCHED 3A FCU -> SWITCH -> hardwired FAN...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I have recently moved into a new home and I am having problems with the MCB/RCD tripping (Mem M6 Type 3 - 30mA). It intermittently...
Replies
Views
I'm following a spark who used an existing Panel Heater circuit, for new gas boiler circuit 6 months ago. The panel heaters were removed, so it's...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock