Discuss Start stop switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Would you mind elaborating a bit further please Paul, as this is intersting stuff

If I can find them I'll dig out some of my old (2000) loop etc drawings and scan them if you want.

I seem to remember the interlock jobbies needed a bit of thinking about.
We only got -------eds once for missing something.

If I can find them I'll dig out some of my old (2000) loop etc drawings and scan them if you want.

Please if you don't mind, I did some control and interlock wiring (with drawings), and Iam sure on that occasion it was all 24 Volt stuff, and mechanical interlocks (both cable and castell keys), I do have a BS document somewhere about E-stop circuits.
Thanks

Would you mind elaborating a bit further please Paul, as this is intersting stuff

It is.

If I had my time again I'd have left school and got in with an Instrument company/job.
Could have travelled the world by now, free and single, earned a wedge of of cash....

The past has gone, look forward to the future :)

Please if you don't mind, I did some control and interlock wiring (with drawings), and Iam sure on that occasion it was all 24 Volt stuff, and mechanical interlocks (both cable and castell keys), I do have a BS document somewhere about E-stop circuits.
Thanks

You might have to hassle me by email but if you want anything I'll see if I can find it.

Hi dacosta this sounds like a 3 phase isolator feeding a 3 phase DOL direct on line motor starter with the stop start buttons on the front. The control circuit inside is probably 400V with NO overcurrent protection as the wiring is all inside the starter. Therefore it is not really safe to try and wire additional stop start buttons. If the (buttons) starter is in the wrong place it may be better to move the starter than try to wire extra stop start buttons.

And I think he was more interested in starting the motor rather than stopping it. :smile5:

We seem to be heading off at a tangent as usual. There is no mention from the OP of the control voltage!

Thing is Tony under current statute law machine modifications should be done to BS EN 60201-1, if the control system does not comply with this which is doubtful if it is an old machine, then, the control voltage is relevant to whether it is feasible to add additional control devices without the end user falling foul or PUWER98 legislation.
Additionally, would it really be a good idea to run unfused 400V control wires along a conveyor, now even if this was a CE marked machine if it is classed as a simple machine then unfused 400V control is acceptable under 60204-1.
If you add more control devices then it is no longer a simple machine etc.

We seem to be heading off at a tangent as usual. There is no mention from the OP of the control voltage!

And I think he was more interested in starting the motor rather than stopping it

I thought we were discussing control gear both start and stop as well a E-stop, and remote/additional/slave controls, which was exactly what the OP was asking.

And if it is as tied up in so much legislation and rules, as NBP says it is, then is it not better to discuss this? , even if this is to stop someone from either, doing something illegal and or dangerous ?
or possibly help the OP with a way around his problem ?

I just don't know how all we older electricians and engineers have survived all these years, working with 415V/240V control circuits and coils... lol!! Though, i must admit, most of the stuff i was brought up on in my early days was transformer derived 110V and 24V. But there was plenty of the other stuff, on the bought in equipment etc!! lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again Dacosta it is obvious the OP does not contain enough info so as usual we all make assumptions in giving feedback your OP basically says :-
" a rotary isolator into a stop/start into a motor operating a conveyor. "
Is it 3 phase or single phase ?
where is the contactor and overload that the stop start buttons operate ?
What is the control voltage for the stop start circuit ?
As I said earlier it appears to me to be a 3ph DOL set up not really designed to have the stop start circuit extended
Please post more info so we can give more relevant advice

Reply to Start stop switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net