Discuss Studying Electrics. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Ryan Jones

Hi guys, new to the forum and have been reading a few threads which have been really helpful. I am currently in my 3rd year of my apprenticeship however been put off site indefinitely due to problems with my knee. I've got plenty of time now to revise and learn new things and thought this forum could give me a upper hand. Just wondering if any of you guys have picked up any sites that help looking over installations, wiring, testing etc looking to further my knowledge other than that taught at college. Any sites, online e-books etc would be great to help understand it all more and let it all sink in!

Just started to learn testing so anything on that on tests that you need to carry out and how they would be done would be great.

Look forward to hearing from everyone and getting to know some people!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Ryan

Hi guys, new to the forum and have been reading a few threads which have been really helpful. I am currently in my 3rd year of my apprenticeship however been put off site indefinitely due to problems with my knee. I've got plenty of time now to revise and learn new things and thought this forum could give me a upper hand. Just wondering if any of you guys have picked up any sites that help looking over installations, wiring, testing etc looking to further my knowledge other than that taught at college. Any sites, online e-books etc would be great to help understand it all more and let it all sink in!

Just started to learn testing so anything on that on tests that you need to carry out and how they would be done would be great.

Ryan

guidance note 3

It would breach copyright rules to post a PDF version to the site.

There is a new version of GN3 out shortly to include the new amendments. IIRC less than £30 on amazon and a must have for any learning electrician.

no need to pm a mod. scroll down the forums and you'll find a forum to apply for acceesss.

Ryan

Welcome,and long may your enthusiasm stand...

The above mentioned book,along with many others,are vital,but as you are in your third year,you should be up to some practical training of your own.

How much test equipment do you own? If you have none,but have managed to purchase the latest phone/ipad/Xbox etc...i would be very disappointed :icon12:

Anywho...get yourself a load of electrical fittings,cable and equipment,and start testing out the principles,you have covered already,in theory.

Experiment,with the obvious need for safe practice. FIND,the high resistance across an old switch...SEE the "phantom" voltage,in section of wiring...get to the stage where you can confidently set-up,faults on a circuit,and prove how test methods work or fail,in "real" situations.
That would be my advice,together with reading as much up on each topic,as possible.

Good luck :icon12:

Welcome,and long may your enthusiasm stand...

The above mentioned book,along with many others,are vital,but as you are in your third year,you should be up to some practical training of your own.

How much test equipment do you own? If you have none,but have managed to purchase the latest phone/ipad/Xbox etc...i would be very disappointed :icon12:

Anywho...get yourself a load of electrical fittings,cable and equipment,and start testing out the principles,you have covered already,in theory.

Experiment,with the obvious need for safe practice. FIND,the high resistance across an old switch...SEE the "phantom" voltage,in section of wiring...get to the stage where you can confidently set-up,faults on a circuit,and prove how test methods work or fail,in "real" situations.
That would be my advice,together with reading as much up on each topic,as possible.

Good luck :icon12:

I particularly like the bit about the I phone.

Your post is full of good advice.

So are the recommendations for GN 3, particularly the new version with the new amendments.

The IET site has a library of books that you may wish to browse through also.

Reply to Studying Electrics. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net