Discuss Stumped! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The DNO is now plagued with voltage anomilies on the grid and from what I see this is down to a number of installs in same are (this is a different topic all together).

Offen wondered how the DNO get on now with repairing/replacing supply cables with so much solar backfeeding the system.
We were plagued near us over the last couple of years with numptys driving into the supply poles giving large areas without power wilst the overheads were replaced. Don't know how they would get on now if the cables on the floor were still live.

Now that i did not know but must still give the guys (in) the ground something extra to think about as would multiple feed in's muddy the waters and back feed other units so they don't turn off.

I don't know exactly how they do it, but inverters will always shut off if the grid is disconnected, regardless of 'back feed' from other inverters.

The inverter samples electricity and syncs to the frequency, this can take a little while, the moment the electricity is off from the grid they loose sync, for 2 inverters to sync together is virtually, if not totally impossible as they will have no input electricity to sample

Sorry I couldn’t reply sooner, but thank you all for your kind responses to my question. This is far more complicated than I envisaged and find myself more confused than ever.

I began by drawing out Gavin’s irrigation system on a piece of paper and realized that the analogy didn’t seem to be quite right, since the pumps were feeding the main supply pipe from both ends of the field. In the case of a PV installation, wouldn’t this be different, because the pumps, like the inverter/mains, are effectively connected at the same point on the system? (someone called it a henley block?). This raises the problem of the pumps delivering unequal pressure – if one is higher than the other, then the water might be forced backwards through the weaker pump. I suppose this would be the same as the inverter forcing current back into the mains.

If the supply pipe burst near the pump connections, then I suppose that since there would be no resistance, water would flow from both pumps simultaneously, which is what I didn’t understand about the inverter and mains supplies both feeding the household circuits at the same time. But this would be enough to blow the fuses wouldn’t it?

Maybe a spark of understanding was prompted by yellowvanman’s explanation – when electricians say that the inverter always tries to supply a higher voltage than the mains, does this mean that it has to do so in order to make the voltage which appears at the henley block the same as that from the mains and not higher? If this is the case, then since the two are equal, it sort of makes sense that current could flow from both sources at the same time. But then, I’ve just thought of another problem – if both voltages are equal, how can the inverter drive current into the mains (when exporting)?

Sorry if I sound a bit dim. Perhaps I should stick to gardening and not ask silly questions.

My take on this sine wave thing is... A true sine wave is from rotating generation, all inverters electrically modify the electricity to make it compatable to a true sign wave, but it is not a true sine wave, some inverters produce a higher quality sine wave than others.
Inverters need a small imput to excite them to make them operate, and at a guess, they need to match the voltage and sine wave that they are conecting to.
A modern car alternator works in the same way, if your car battery is flat, it is a waste of time trying to bump start a car, unlike in the days of a dynamo.

Maybe a spark of understanding was prompted by yellowvanman’s explanation – when electricians say that the inverter always tries to supply a higher voltage than the mains, does this mean that it has to do so in order to make the voltage which appears at the henley block the same as that from the mains and not higher?
Yes
If this is the case, then since the two are equal, it sort of makes sense that current could flow from both sources at the same time. But then, I’ve just thought of another problem – if both voltages are equal, how can the inverter drive current into the mains (when exporting)?
The inverter is generating current as it has to have the power its creating used, so the inverter is pushing the current down to the henley block, if the house doesn't take it, there is enough 'push' from the inverter to put it back into the mains to be used by the neighbours.

Reply to Stumped! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net