Discuss Stupid, silly mistake, dont do the same in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Paul.M

-
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Doing a first fix on a kitchen replacement of existing wiring, straight forward but I became complement. Chiseling out the run for a double socket that is fed from above to lower it by 125mm. Did I check that it has a spur going from it downwards to a spur socket to a single socket to the living room? No I didn't. Did I isolate the circuit that I was working near so I could continue listening to the radio? No I didn't. Did I hit the 2.5mm spur cable square on that made me jump out of my skin? Yes I did. A very, very stupid mistake that could have killed me or at least threw me across the room but it didn't and I feel very lucky that it didn't take a bite out of me today. Just a warning lads, don't do a daft mistake like I did today and play it safe. My dad always told me "learn from other peoples mistakes so you don't have to learn from your own". Don't make the same f#$* up me and keep yourselves safe gentleman.

credit to you for holding your hands up to that one, paul. we've all done similar at one time or another. remember, there are old sparks and bold sparks, but not many old, bold sparks.

Doing a first fix on a kitchen replacement of existing wiring, straight forward but I became complement. Chiseling out the run for a double socket that is fed from above to lower it by 125mm. Did I check that it has a spur going from it downwards to a spur socket to a single socket to the living room? No I didn't. Did I isolate the circuit that I was working near so I could continue listening to the radio? No I didn't. Did I hit the 2.5mm spur cable square on that made me jump out of my skin? Yes I did. A very, very stupid mistake that could have killed me or at least threw me across the room but it didn't and I feel very lucky that it didn't take a bite out of me today. Just a warning lads, don't do a daft mistake like I did today and play it safe. My dad always told me "learn from other peoples mistakes so you don't have to learn from your own". Don't make the same f#$* up me and keep yourselves safe gentleman.

Complacency kills bruv. But we've all done it at one time or the other.

Had a bit of stupid one myself the other week....... Not so dangerous more of a surprise - pop and a flash :30:

It was a Friday, trying to get a kitchen all wrapped so could have some early doors - but had the kitchen fitter on this one that has a serious case of verbal diarrhea. Really hard to concentrate.... dose my head in !!

Ended up wiring up 6 x 12v cabinet lights - but didnt actually put any transformers in, powered up and blew all the lamps - dick :banghead:

Paul I think you need to upgrade your radio to one that uses cordless drill batteries lol

I've never been fussed for listening to the radio whilst working, I just think of it as another distraction.

It's always a good reminder when members have the honesty to post on such instances. I am sure we'll see another one sometime in the future. One thing for sure, I bet it isn't you Paul :thumbsup

It's always a good reminder when members have the honesty to post on such instances. I am sure we'll see another one sometime in the future. One thing for sure, I bet it isn't you Paul :thumbsup
It won't be me next time, I'll tell thee. But if by me posting up my own stupidity saves one of us lot from getting a belt its worth it. Anyway my day got better, have a look at "the best place I've worked so far" thread in the chit chat room, that made me feel better :).

Reply to Stupid, silly mistake, dont do the same in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net