Discuss Switch plate earthing advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There is no regulation number. Just general guidance. s.

I was being a bit naughty there. I have read the same 'guidance', as in GN8 and similarly in the niceic snags & solutions. In fact the nic book refers to regs 411.4.2 & 411.5.1 which talks of a protective conductor, no mention of using lugs fixed or otherwise.

There is also the fact, that the manufacturer provides an earthing terminal in such circumstances, and their instructions should be taken into account.

Just to clarify here I was not suggesting that an earth link is unnecessary, simply that in my opinion once screwed back there is no hazard from the lack of one. All competent electricians would fit a link to a switch plate with an earth terminal, however if I found the situation in the OP during an EICR it would be a code 3, not a code 2, and as such would not prevent a satisfactory report.

OK and this evenings question is:
"How many Electricians does it take to install a brushed Chrome double socket into a metal back box. Either earthing terminal may be considered, and you may refer to your copy of BS7671.?"

OK and this evenings question is:
"How many Electricians does it take to install a brushed Chrome double socket into a metal back box. Either earthing terminal may be considered, and you may refer to your copy of BS7671.?"
Depend SBO if they have a copy of BS 7671:rolleyes: Mind you these days does it matter?

Depend SBO if they have a copy of BS 7671:rolleyes: Mind you these days does it matter?
Well, there was a post on here, can't remember what now but the guy was saying that sparks who come on here will be doing the job properly but there are loads out there who don't come on here or anywhere else for that matter and basically don't give a flying fork about BS7671 or anything else for that matter, sadly. So the answer to you question is possibly no. Ah well get the red out and stuff it.

Well, there was a post on here, can't remember what now but the guy was saying that sparks who come on here will be doing the job properly but there are loads out there who don't come on here or anywhere else for that matter and basically don't give a flying fork about BS7671 or anything else for that matter, sadly. So the answer to you question is possibly no. Ah well get the red out and stuff it.
Meant to be satorical SBO

Reply to Switch plate earthing advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net