JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) techinican jib card enquiry

Discuss techinican jib card enquiry in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mickkelleher

hi to all does many of you have a jib technician card and if so are they worth while.i see on jib website they require City & Guilds of London Institute Electrical Installation Work Part III as a requirement does any1 know what course this is
thanks

mk

That was the old C course i think. I don't know of any colleges that offer this now. I think the route to go down if you want one of them is to do the 2391-20 course. I would confirm that though with the JIB first as they are a law unto themselves.

yeah C certificate, however in the old days you could get one with a directors signature if you were 27 years old and approved for at least 4 yearshaha, how times change.

the part 3 or C certificate is long gone , ended years ago
the latest equivalent is probably the 2396 level 4 design course.
worth doing if youre at supervisor level and want the kudos of a higher grading.

worth doing if youre at supervisor level and want the kudos of a higher grading.

thanks to all for replies.i recently sat level 3 cert in design,erection and verification and was hoping along with this the 2391 test & inspect and ecs card that i might be ok to apply with jib for technicians card.

thanks to all for replies.i recently sat level 3 cert in design,erection and verification and was hoping along with this the 2391 test & inspect and ecs card that i might be ok to apply with jib for technicians card.

That should get you one but why would you want one when firms aren't paying the going rate for electricians.

I would have though they might want proof of experience aswell and perhaps a referece of competence

Did it? well there you are, shows how long ago I was an apprentice, the part 3 in my day was a C certificate and actually it was in 2 parts, I wonder how many here knew that? :sifone:

I wonder how many here knew that?

Only the older electricians that went through the C&G 2360 (think that's right??) A, B, C....Which was summarised recently by i think Malcolm on another thread...

Last edited by a moderator:
The 'C' course continued after the 236 A, B course and was still running up to 2000. It then vanished and was replaced by the 2400.

The two exam papers were science and Technology with a project/assignment. which, in terms of difficulty is equivalent to the 2396. Although I wonder whether 3-phase unbalanced phasor diagrams and parallel feeder calculations are still included....

i've not noticed a single person on the forum come up and say " yep , i got a JIB tech card"
which suggests they're pretty rare. ( or everyone is being very modest lol )
the biggest obstacle isnt the quals , but getting a reference confirming your duties and skill level is above an approved electrician plus having supervisory experience.
this is because , quite simply , there are no long term / cards in jobs any more - we are all sole-traders , subbys , freelance etc etc

Yep I have one, it ran out in 1990 something though, I will see if I can find it :p

excellent mdj - respect lol , hope to gain one myself next year.
cant believe you let it run out though , thicko ! ;-)
so you dont keep a current jib card at all then ?

The wife is looking for it now, the only card we have found so far is a uk register of electricians card which ran out in March 2001, I have all the other JIB cards from apprentice to technician somewhere, now you have mentioned this I will have to turn the houe upside down and find them,

Yes I also hold a JIB 'Site Technician' card. These are a little more rare than the 'Installation Technician' card, as more difficult to obtain, if you don't work for a JIB registered company. Your required to have first obtained 'Approved Electrician' for a minimum of 5 years.

my mate's got his tech' card. he said he's been refused employment on some sites, as the contractor only needs an approved sparky and doesn't want to pay tech' rates.

I work with someone who's got his JIB technician grade and his work his atrocious! No idea how he got it maybe because he's been off the tools that long and been running jobs?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If you want to be supervisor then I woud get it as I plan to myself.However some companys would rather not employ a technician as a spark because you can trip up there own supervisors and make them look silly.I was installing 3phase air conditioning and the panel was literally 3 meters from the transformer.They had not thought about the fault current.They had'nt designed the install they gave us the materials.after speaking to schnieder tech I then had the pleasure in telling them they neede to change the breakers to NSX ones as they have a cascading facility.something I learned from schneider,which was cool but the forman got the hump cos he looked foolish.

Reply to techinican jib card enquiry in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net