Discuss Testing before cu change in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elementps

Hi Guys, Just wanted to get some views and different opinions on what tests you complete at pricing/enquiry stage for a cu change?Complete all tests beforehand? Complete limited tests, ze, PFC, ir?Would be interesting to see how everybody operates?Particulary IR tests, just want to give clients an accuracy quote upfront without having to charge more when changing the board and coming into faults.Many Thanks

i usually do a Ze, a couple of random Zs. and IR all circuits with neutrals connected. if the reading is poor, i then investigate the IR on each circuit. also i check for borrowed neutral, esp on landing light/s.

i would do the cu change with a set price then tell them a full pir follows and if it fails then that is extra to put right.to be fiar if theres things wrong with circuits or equipment what you havent touched then that is down to them.

You should do a full PIR before you do the change, otherwise you will be liable for any faults, that will show up on the CU
Not nessecarily, if you put a written disclaimer of any existing faults found will be discussed and repaired at additional cost, stated clearly on the original qoute paperwork how can you be liable?

I usually say that the CU change will start with a full test of all the existing circuits (that testing being included in the quoted price) and any significant faults that show up will have to be discussed, together with likely costs, before proceeding. I'd usually aim to find and discuss any such faults early enough to be able to reinstate on the old board and leave the installation as I found it if the client backs out.

I usually say that the CU change will start with a full test of all the existing circuits (that testing being included in the quoted price) and any significant faults that show up will have to be discussed, together with likely costs, before proceeding. I'd usually aim to find and discuss any such faults early enough to be able to reinstate on the old board and leave the installation as I found it if the client backs out.
Thats all well and good, but who,s going to cover your time and effort financially when the job doesnt go ahead? How much time does your pre-checking take up? Personally I find a lot of customers would say thanks, but as for paying to have the installation left as you found it??

i usually do a Ze, a couple of random Zs. and IR all circuits with neutrals connected. if the reading is poor, i then investigate the IR on each circuit. also i check for borrowed neutral, esp on landing light/s.

i agree with Tel here exactly whet i do plus check all the bonding is in place too

Thats all well and good, but who,s going to cover your time and effort financially when the job doesnt go ahead? How much time does your pre-checking take up? Personally I find a lot of customers would say thanks, but as for paying to have the installation left as you found it??

I guess you're taking a risk whatever way you do it... if you do a bit of testing before quoting the job there's a risk that no one will pay for that. I'd rather do the testing (which is going to be required for the installation certificate anyway) after the client has agreed to go ahead with the main job on the assumption that either no major faults will be found or that they will agree to pay what's required to fix them.

If there are major problems and the client will not pay more I'd rather walk away leaving the old installation as I found it (having told the client about its condition) even if out of pocket.

This is a difficult one, if you do to much testing you arein danger of wasting your time, but I follow the best practice guide andexplain to customers what I am doing.
My first approach is to try and get the customer to have aPIR done, they genrally don’t want one because of the extra cost, so I thenexplain the consequences of not doing one but insist on doing the doing thefollowing. Not many refuse this testing. It does not take long.

• making enquires with the user as to whether there are anyknown defects, faults or damage,

• an internal visual inspection of the existing consumerunit to determine, amongst other things, the type and condition of the wiringsystem used for the installation,

• an external visual inspection of other readily accessibleparts of the installation,

• a measurement of the external earth fault loop impedance,Ze,

• a test of circuit protective conductor continuity at theend of each final circuit, and

• an insulation resistance measurement of the wholeinstallation at the consumer unit, between the live conductors connectedtogether and the protective conductors.

Most people tend to get at least 2 quotes for doing thissort of work, and I always make the point of asking if the “other electrician”did any testing and from my experience most don’t. So when I bring out the bestpractice guide and show them what it says I get some brownie points, and moreoften than not I get the work, without being the cheapest.

I also always give a contract stating that remedialworks will be at the customers cost.

any of you feel like pointing me in the direction of contact templateor electrical installations or do i have to learn from my mistakes.. just an idea of how 1 goes.... cheers big ears

Evening Just reading your reply with interest.
Could your explain further how you do "an insulation resistance measurement of the whole installation at the consumer unit, between the live conductors connected together and the protective conductors."
Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but I'm in the same boat and still very new to testing.
Thanks in advance

You would isolate the main switch.

Link the neutral and line busbar with a suitable connector and then IR test between that and earth.

I use small lenth of cable which has a croc clip on each end and just attach it.

Hope this helps.

Unless it's an installation that I have previous knowledge of, I tell the customer that a full PIR is required, to assess the installation before any work is conducted.

We just add to the estimate that any faults which show up during essential tests carried out following a CU change will be rectified at additional cost....Never had any real problems yet,and cant ever remember a fault adding any more than 2-3 hrs to a job,usually a lot less.
Be bugg*%£ed if I'm going to waste my time doing a load of testing for naff all when I might not even get the job.

Can't believe some of the answers on this thread!

Chucking a board in with no testing and THEN testing.

Amazing!

Who are you registered with again :)

depends really,
if customer wants board change then your gonna have to fix any faults anyways so depending on the customers view of the options will give you an idea how to proceed. I used to offer a basic pir for xammount then deduct it from the completed job (as most testing would of been done by then) or if faults were found and customer wont proceed then you keep the pre agreed ammount.

Can't believe some of the answers on this thread!

Chucking a board in with no testing and THEN testing.

Amazing!

Who are you registered with again :)
There is no requirement in the Regulations to pre-test an installation other than to assess that the existing equipment is adequate for the safety measure intended to be used for the addition or alteration.
Once work has been completed, the requirement is only to inspect and test the work carried out, not the existing installation.

Its just the concept of fitting a board (that won't from then on stay switched on!) and then discussing testing. Just seems a touch bizarre....

In fact I'll put my neck out and say it's just wrong :)

Its a world of chancers. Because there will be many a time when it will pay off (i.e. close eyes, switch on, yes! both RCD's are still up!). But then what do you put on the cert?

Real results?

WHy not do them first then ?

Reply to Testing before cu change in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net