Discuss That old Chestnut. Notifiable Work... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think it must be his scrolling - surprised Murdoch hasn’t bitten!
There's some dumb flick arses about tonite. If you have a point, then speak.
Can’t seem to PM him either - probably doesn’t know he’s doing it
I mean who would ‘dumb’ one of @Murdoch s posts - he’s a pussycat!

Sorry to Bump this lads but.....

LABC have come back and told the boss on the job the work as described IS notifyable .
A quick question, do we as Sparky's have any rights/power to argue or is the BCO'S word final?

Also, another quick question, if, with lighting, we're taking the feed from the switch do we still need to put brown sleeving on the neutrals even though they're not the switch live in this case?

Thank you.
Tom .

Sorry to Bump this lads but.....

LABC have come back and told the boss on the job the work as described IS notifyable .
A quick question, do we as Sparky's have any rights/power to argue or is the BCO'S word final?

Also, another quick question, if, with lighting, we're taking the feed from the switch do we still need to put brown sleeving on the neutrals even though they're not the switch live in this case?

Thank you.
Tom .

Of course you have the right to argue. Do it in writing referencing part P and the scope of notifiable work. Ask for any response to be in writing.

Why would you identify a conductor as a line conductor if it is not functioning as one ?

Great. I'll make sure I do because it seems like they're being a pain in the backside regarding this. Thanks .

Regarding the sleeving, it was clarification really. This was my first installation where I had the feed from the switches, not from the ceiling rose and when doing that, I always add a brown sleeving to the neutral (switch live) that went to the switch but as the main feed is coming from the switch and I've only got one cable going to the lamp then I guess I don't have a switch live right?
I might be confusing you with the termilogy so apologies if so.

putting brown sleeve on a N conductor is wrong, pointless and stupid. you only sleeve a blue if it's used as a switched L. DOH!.

I've got one downloaded from the guys here so have sent that to the boss who is going to question it with BCO. I can't see it being notifiable so will be interesting to see what they have to say. Thank you for your help here.

Regarding the sleeving issue which I'm now questioning, I've drawn a diagrams albeit a really bad one, of what I'm trying to explain incase I've got it completely wrong. So the first picture (earth's removed for clarity) is the feed going to the ceiling rose, I thought I had to sleeve the neutral (brown squiggles) in the cable that goes to the switch because technically it is acting as a line conductor when the switch is turned on to illuminate the lamp?
The second diagram is with the feed to the switch where the neutral isn't acting as the line conductor?

I'm more than happy to take the bashing that could possibly be coming my way. I'm just trying to figure out if what I've been shown is right/wrong?

IMG_20190115_094526.jpg

I'm confused by your 2nd diagram.

What would happen when you operate the switch??????

When the switch is on the lamp turns on?
The feed going into comm is from another lamp so takes its ''power'' from there.
Then goes up to the lamp via L1 to the lamp and back down the neutral and home
It all works fine? Lol

Sent to the boss ? I'm confused. So you are employed. But why were you on about notifying this yourself and joining a scheme ? Is your boss not registered with a scheme ?

Looking at your wiring diagrams, what level of training are you at, and are you working unsupervised ?

Come on, give us the honest story. Home DIY job? You'll feel better if you tell the truth :)

I qualified last year, doing my level 2. Worked with an electrician as a mate previous to that but never got to get my hands dirty, just did things like chases, tidying up etc.
My dad owns a smallsbmall ui company and his usual electrician moved away and some i'd done my level 2 which was inspection/testing, part p and 18th edition and it was a small job he said I could do it.
Hopefully that explains who I am a bit more. I know people usually hate people who do these quick courses but the idea was to do that, then carry on with the spark and get more experience but he left and we needed someone to do the work.
So the bottom diagram is incorrect?
For what reason!? I thought it was common practice to feed from the switch!?
Thanks for the responses so far.

That's better.
Right, draw your 2nd diagram again twice. Once with the switch in position one and once with it switched to position 2. Follow the circuits and work out why it won't work.

I would say you are in no position to be doing electrical work at the minute unless you are being shadowed by someone. No offence intended, but you need to recognise your limitations.

Reply to That old Chestnut. Notifiable Work... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net