Discuss The end of an era, the end of the pub sparky? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

RCD's save lives. Rewireable fuses might stop wiring fires caused by overloads but they won't help when the old duck is getting defibrilated by the frayed cable on her 3-bar heater. Surely this is a step backwards not forwards...
Try read again, the strict rules are pushing the qualified sparkies away from the work as the customers choose cheaper bodge it and run cowboys, now surely any rule that gets the cowboys back off the scene is safer and also the new rules wont make the installation more unsafe than already is a risk assessment will be done and customer adviced, this in the long run is safer than the customer dragging in a cowboy which is what is happening .

Last edited:
Also with regard to the 'new' ammendment regarding RCD protection.....or not, if we decide it is not neccessary then we must note it on the certificate.

[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]411.3.3 Additional protection[/FONT][/FONT]
In a.c. systems, additional protection by means of an RCD in accordance with Regulation 415.1 shall be provided for:
(i) socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20 A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for
general use, and
(ii) mobile equipment with a current rating not exceeding 32 A for use outdoors.
An exception to (i) is permitted for:

(a) socket-outlets for use under the supervision of skilled or instructed persons
, e.g. in some commercial or industrial locations

, or

(b) a specific labelled or otherwise suitably identified socket-outlet provided for connection of a particular item of

equipment

, or.

(c) minor works associated with existing socket-outlet circuits not provided with additional protection by means of

an RCD where the designer is satisfied that there would be no increased risk from the installation of the addition
or alteration. The decision shall be recorded under part 2 of the Minor Works Certificate or the comments section
of the Electrical Installation Certificate (see notes 1 and 2).

[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]Note 1: [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]For minor works the installer is often the designer of the addition or alteration.

[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]Note 2: [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]The recording of this decision does not constitute a departure from this Standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I do find more than a little "difficult" is the seemingly lack of restrictions applied to the major DIY stores.

Just yesterday I was in one and there were 2 chaps buying parts to add a new circuit from the CU - from listening in to what they were saying they had absolutely no regard for the legislation we "approved" skilled trades people have to abide by.

Isn't about time DIY stores had more restrictions on what they can and can't sell to the public?

Reply to The end of an era, the end of the pub sparky? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net