Discuss tonights 2391 exam....(10th march 2011) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

on section b

did they directly say the main switch was a 200 ohm rcd? if not thats why I went down the earth electrode resistance test route :X

Thought that the wording of questions throughout was atrocious. Re the SWA cable - don't remember them asking only to test the cable, although the wording was crap, but they did ask for details of circuit preparation which I took to mean that they wanted the whole thing tested. For a 2 1/2 hr written exam you don't really need confusing questions.

Thought that the wording of questions throughout was atrocious. Re the SWA cable - don't remember them asking only to test the cable, although the wording was crap, but they did ask for details of circuit preparation which I took to mean that they wanted the whole thing tested. For a 2 1/2 hr written exam you don't really need confusing questions.
ahh the good old city and guilds way of having you wonder what the question actually is. had plenty of them over the years. ambiguous sods they are :)

Well I felt terrible about this exam till I read half these posts, seems everyone found it confusing! Can anyone remember what they put for 21a? I think it was asking what documentation would be provided and what it would be provided for. I took this to mean electrical installation certificate for new circuit, periodic inspection report for installation testing, am I on the wrong lines cos I did have to read it a few times!

as phil stated cityand guilds have always made the questions on 2391 confusing,this i believe is on purpose as if they believe you should be able to work out whats required with limited input.
r

I think that I put down two sets of periodic inspection reports, schedule of inspections/tests for the existing aspects, and one of electrical installation cert, schedule of inspections / tests for the new circuit.

good luck to you all now begins the slow wait hope someone found a mystery copy in there bag when they got home lol
then you can check through yourself to give you some idea of how you did

anyway hope you all passed

**** it ,just got ****** after it,all the hard work and revision and for me the questions tonight were,well it seeems like the whole exam is luck on the night,done that Brian Scadden exam earlier today in me local library and got 86 percent over the two sections done the last four(that I got from the forum) and done great,yet tonight I thought the questions were worded difficult,(how many sepereate DBs wre there on that installation any way I've got the last four exam papers if any one wants them [email protected] and if any one can send me some cheers stroll on June)

Last edited by a moderator:
thats how i felt mate when i come out as i had studied for about 4 months every day as much as i could lol and by the end of the exam i was glad it was over but fuming at the way they word things but in the end all turned out well as i passed the june 2010 exam so all worth it in the end

Q.a) In the shower unit, what visual inspections can you do to the c/u (4 marks)

B) explain answear to "a" (4 marks)

Last edited:
Q. What test would you do on the rcd? (8 marks) I think it said to include time, mA

Q. What other test would you carry out on the rcd (2 marks)

Last edited:
The marina needed a PIR doing for the local authority and new installation of 3 lights on the gangway.

Q. What 4 documents would you provide?

Q. Who would you consult for limits and extents?

Q. Who would you give your documents to?

Can't remember the marks or the question numbers.

Q. What test would you do on the rcd? (8 marks) I think it said to include time, mA
what size rcd? if 30mA then
did it ask for tester used etc better if you get a copy as the C&G speak needs to be read fully to understand there geeky language lol
A. Residual current device testing
test at 1/2X 15mA at both half cycles no disconnection
then test at 1 x 30mA at both half cycles disconnection in 300ms
then test at 5x 150 mA at both half cycles disconnection in 40ms

Q. What other test would you carry out on the rcd (2 marks)
functional test
press the test button on the the protective device (RCD) to check correct operation of the mechanical parts are working correctly

Reply to tonights 2391 exam....(10th march 2011) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net