Discuss tray bonding in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

I never see the point in fitting the earth links either, but in my experience most jobs ask for it,

waste of time and money by the looks of it

thanks for that I never heard of this company before...might be better than the various wholesalers ....

We used to use Legrand, but they are too expensive and Unitrunk are very good and same quality as Legrand. Been using them for a few years now.

Why wouldn't you use earth straps when they are supplied with the tray and trunking?? Before they started supplying earth straps, all our metallic containment systems (apart from conduit) in the factories I did my training in had to have a strap between joints etc. Every project i've ever worked on, call for them!! I'll stick to what i know and have done for over 40+ years, ....the straps go in!! lol!!

I can't ever remember using painted Tray Or trunking, it was always Galvanised stuff i've ever used. I take it your referring to the grey trunking, (can't remember try being painted) often used in office buildings etc??...

I know where you are coming from Eng54. I have always listed earth lugs with the galvanised trunking and cable tray, but these reports say that it doesn't make a difference if they are fitted or not, and in this day and age where we have to save as much money as possible, then I cant see the need to list them any more. Saving on purchasing cost and also installation costs (time used up fitting them)

I really fail to see how any earth link would make a difference to a properly bolted joint.

I just had to install 120m of 125mm tray 2 level with numerous changes of direction and intersections.

25m of 4" trunking again with various changes of direction.

Supply and install with a budget of £2250 I'd love to see anyone fit in bonding joints into that budget.

Why wouldn't you use earth straps when they are supplied with the tray and trunking?? Before they started supplying earth straps, all our metallic containment systems (apart from conduit) in the factories I did my training in had to have a strap between joints etc. Every project i've ever worked on, call for them!! I'll stick to what i know and have done for over 40+ years, ....the straps go in!! lol!!

I can't ever remember using painted Tray Or trunking, it was always Galvanised stuff i've ever used. I take it your referring to the grey trunking, (can't remember try being painted) often used in office buildings etc??...

I never used anything but powder coated GE Power Centre trunking. It was the standard for our company. One contracting company was told to take out some galvanised that they put in as it looked an eyesore when run between panels that were all our "standard" colour.

If they are supplied with the gear, then I'll fit em, however none of the gear I'm supplied with comes with earth straps. In fact, as far as I'm aware, only ladder rack joiners come with earth straps as standard.

all of the tray and trunking we use comes with steel joiners, and I fit them, and always ensure they are tight.

regarding specifications, a lot of company specs are over engineered. Our spec calls for all electrical equipment to have voltage labels, which is above and beyond BS7671 (unless over 230v to earth, which 99% of LV installations are not).
we also have to link from the banjo of the load end of a cable to the nearest metalwork.
this is also above and beyond BS7671.

just because you see it in specs, it doesn't mean they we have to follow the same rules, when you can prove that the alternative is just as safe, and more economical.

just because you see it in specs, it doesn't mean they we have to follow the same rules, when you can prove that the alternative is just as safe, and more economical.

You can do whatever you wish to do, and i'm sure you will, but if a specification calls for them, (or working on a project of mine) they Will go in... lol!!

I agree its a waste of time using straps unless you make a bad job of connecting, and powder coated was the only time i have seen links supplied with trunking you have to buy them as a extra nowadays, also if you look the 90 and T bends only have one or two holes to connect between the trunking and the bend most don't have couplers between a bend and the trunking and its self so that means you would have to drill a second hole to install & connect a link yes ?

You can do whatever you wish to do, and i'm sure you will, but if a specification calls for them, (or working on a project of mine) they Will go in... lol!!

And here was me thinking you weren't one to follow dogma.
Sorry E54 but we’ll have to agree not to agree on that one.

I will add it would be a rare occasion where I would be mounting trunking or tray against a brick wall. When we did our normal practice would be construct a welded frame in the workshop with everything drilled to suit before hand.

And here was me thinking you weren't one to follow dogma.
Sorry E54 but we’ll have to agree not to agree on that one.

I will add it would be a rare occasion where I would be mounting trunking or tray against a brick wall. When we did our normal practice would be construct a welded frame in the workshop with everything drilled to suit before hand.

Depends on the dogma!! lol!!

As i have always worked primarily on highly spec'd projects, it's almost second nature to me to use copper straps across tray and trunking installations. Same goes with flexible earthing straps across isolating flexible joints on A/C ducting.

Depends on the dogma!! lol!!

As i have always worked primarily on highly spec'd projects, it's almost second nature to me to use copper straps across tray and trunking installations. Same goes with flexible earthing straps across isolating flexible joints on A/C ducting.

I'll not disagree with bonding flexible joints. Ducting depends on its construction.

The companies I've worked for were all blue chip so money hasn't really been an issue, just what's required.

Reply to tray bonding in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net