Discuss Tricky Starter Circuit Question - 2001 Toyota Celica... in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MapGuy99

DIY
Reaction score
I have an interesting starter circuit issue on a 2001 Toyota Celica (that won't start).

If I have the starter out and have the main positive wire connected, then, run a jumper wire to the solenoid directly, if the starter is grounded to the engine, vehicle fans come on etc. when I set the jumper wire to the positive terminal on the battery.

If I ground the starter directly to the battery, then set the solenoid jumper wire to the positive terminal on the battery, the starter engages and runs as expected.

This seems to be a bit of a mystery. I've tested power at the starter, at the solenoid (when ignition key is set to start) and the power is over 12v. So, it appears the ignition circuit is sending power down there when the key is turned. But the starter fails to do anything. I've also confirmed there is full power at the main power terminal on the starter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

MG

Have a good look at the engine to chassis ground connection, could be corroded
Hiya...that was exactly the problem. Turns out when the previous owner changed the clutch, he didn't attach the ground cable to the engine very well. Redid that and all was well!
Thanks for your response.

Greatly appreciated!

Reply to Tricky Starter Circuit Question - 2001 Toyota Celica... in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock