Discuss Tripower issues in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

edexlab

-
Arms
Reaction score
A Job I did last year which has been working flawlessly for 12mths has developed some problems and I'm a bit baffled to be honest!

There are 2 Tripowers a 1000TL and and a 15000tl Its developed over the last couple of weeks when the owner and the company I did it for reported various fault codes and occasional tripping of a 300mA RCD So I went to check, first I checked the events and there are numerous event logs of: Phase/Neutral conductor missing Grid overvoltage Grid undervoltage too fast Installation grid failure

Now it does seem fairly obvious there's a supply issue so I did all the basic electrical commissioning tests AC/DC no problem and the RCD tests fine The supply ZE/ PFC is slightly different to when it was tested but I expected this So next I then checked the tightness of every connection in the system and because its connected via a generator shutdown system I checked all the Contactors and Timers and its like it was installed yesterday I then rigged up 3 digital meters onto all phases (not having any other monitoring gear with me) and start the system up while I'm watching the voltages , everything is normal Generator relays working and no real fluctuation on each phase (I appreciate the three meters will vary but I'm just looking for a loss of a phase or an irratic voltage Next checked the events log and the events listed above are shown. to confirm the Neutral I did the same again with the meter on the neutral and a phase rotation tester on the phases just as an indicator to warns of a phase missing no issue except for the events codes as above

So to all intents the PV system and the electrical supply looks squeaky clean But I don't see how 2 inverters can both have exactly the same events precisely at the same time , the data has been forwarded to SMA as they don't think it can be a software issue. I've recommended having the supply monitored at various point throughout the system to try and pinpoint the problem I personally think there could be a supply issue occurring and perhaps some Harmonic issues but these haven't cropped up before so if anyone has had any similar issues I'd be very interested.

could be a fault at the suppliers end.

We had similar on a system which resulted in similar faults and it turned out to have been some builders in another house on the street had put a digger through the supply cable up the street, and the fault went away once the supply company came in and fixed it.

apologies for the spacing of the above post I did space it to make it easier to read but for some reason it keeps coming up like it has

I paragraphed it for you.

There's a known issue with Internet explorer but if you click on the top left button of the reply box A/A and 'switch editor to source mode' it might work better.

I am suspicious of the electrical system on this farm which we had little option but to connect to because there are numerous things there that I actually laughed at when the "maintenance electrician" told me they'd done , and these things were quite bad !

But as it hasn't had any problems so far it's possible its not a reason for these symptoms
There are sometimes problems with the supply but if the supply drops out the pv is disconnected to prevent damage to the backup generators

Reply to Tripower issues in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net