Discuss Maximum kW anyone has on single phase? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Max105

DIY
Reaction score
I (well, the MCS installer) obtained approval under G59 back in 2015 for 11.5 kW of grid connection on a single phase. 12kW of panels into two 6kW inverters. I'm in a fairly remote area. Not aware of any other solar arrays feeding into my local pole mounted transformer.

I'd now like to add more, perhaps another 4-5 kW to take it to maybe 17kW. I will be adding a battery at some stage but not right now, so for now I'd like to add to the existing grid-tied system.

I am interested to know what is the maximum power anyone has managed to get approval for on a single phase here in the UK? Is there an official limit or is it simply case by case basis? What is the theoretical maximum?

My incoming supply is 100A (judging by the size of the fuse).

Please - No advice on adding/extending FIT arrays etc. - Just need the technical limit on known actual real-life examples or specs for DNO limits for grid injection for single phase.

Thanks for looking.

No answers so I guess nobody has achieved DNO approval for more than 11.5 kW export on a single phase?

Anyone here from any DNO (or anyone at all) that would know definitively what the maximum allowed would be?

Max

No answers so I guess nobody has achieved DNO approval for more than 11.5 kW export on a single phase?

Anyone here from any DNO (or anyone at all) that would know definitively what the maximum allowed would be?

Max
The max is network dependent. It will be down to the sizing of the cables on the DNO side, whether you have a other generation on their supply side, local loads in the area etc.

I've never heard of anything over 10kW on a single phase supply.

There are export limitation options available now on many new inverters, they work with a CT around the incomer. This is quite common now on larger commercial systems as there's a blanket export limit on some DNO areas.

As above, the DNO have many factors to consider when allowing power export, not just the current carrying capacity of their network but also if it would risk pushing the supply voltage above the limits of the ESQCR (i.e. opposite of voltage drop on load).

Reply to Maximum kW anyone has on single phase? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net