Discuss Trying to install downlights into a room in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JackFrost

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to install three downlights into a room. But, I came across this problem where there are three wires hanging rather than one?

I am totally lost. Any help would be appreciated.
[automerge]1599411822[/automerge]
Not that savvy but what is that?

Attachments

• photo_2020-09-06_17-47-22.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
First thing you've done right is not to disconnect the original fiting. Seriously, well done the number of similar situations we see with just three cables hanging out the ceiling is huge.

Take pictures of the cables and the terminals they are in.

Google loop in loop out light circuits to get a better idea of what each cable is.

If you are determined and competent enough to attempt this then make sure you isolate the circuit and can prove you've isolated it.

If after your research you're still not sure, get a spark in.

Hi - this will likely be one cable incoming, one cable outgoing and the other is to the switch and back. These need to be properly terminated in a junction box if you are going to remove that existing fitting.

as post #2. standard way of light wiring for donkeys. nowadays it's more common to loop at the switch to allow for smart switches. simple job for a sparks to sort out.

If you are lucky, one of the black cables will have red sleeving. That will make it easier as that cable will be the leg to the switch (permanent live down to the switch and switched live back when switch is operated)

Be aware that the other two of those 3 cables will be live even with the light switch off - so as already mentioned ensure that you have isolated the circuit at the fuse box before doing any work.

If in doubt, ask before proceeding at each step..

Can you access the room from above in the loft?

Last edited by a moderator:
How much you reckon it'll be? We've already drilled the holes for the downlights ect. It's literally just the wiring.
a local spark could fit the downlights safely for a max. of 2 hours, say, £70 tops (+ any materials supplied) where I live. whereabouts are you. 1 of us may be local.

How much you reckon it'll be? We've already drilled the holes for the downlights ect. It's literally just the wiring.

It's not 'just the wiring' the existing circuit needs to be checked to ensure that it is safe to make alterations to it.
The regulations have changed a lot and now require any new lights in domestic installations to have RCD protection so there may be additional work required.
[automerge]1599422644[/automerge]
£70-£100 nice Wago box for the main connection and a cable round each light, connect up and test. For the sake of a ton mate, just get it done properly.

What about RCD protection?

It's not 'just the wiring' the existing circuit needs to be checked to ensure that it is safe to make alterations to it.
The regulations have changed a lot and now require any new lights in domestic installations to have RCD protection so there may be additional work required.

Is that the case or is it for new lighting circuits?

I know the change in regs for lighting in domestics requiring RCD, and new circuts logically follow, but for adding new lighting points to an existing circuit?

Assuming RCD protection is already in place.

Yes your part of the installation must comply to current Regulations.
I guess its just like adding a new socket, just seems a bit harsh.

However replacing an existing socket isn't.

What if the OP replaced the original fitting with a clik marshaling box, then its all plug and play?

Might be a struggle to get it through the downlight cut out though.:rolleyes:

I guess its just like adding a new socket, just seems a bit harsh.

However replacing an existing socket isn't.

What if the OP replaced the original fitting with a clik marshaling box, then its all plug and play?

Might be a struggle to get it through the downlight cut out though.:rolleyes:

Well if their approach to electrical safety, particularly protection against electric shock, is to look for loopholes and ways get of complying then they could probably do that.

Reply to Trying to install downlights into a room in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net