Discuss TT Earth cable sizing in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chloebear

Hi al,
Just need a bit of a refresh regarding the sizing of the earth cable for a domestic installation with an earth spike. I believe 10mm for the gas & water bonding, but seem to recall that the main earth cable can also be 10mm?

On a TT system the earth cable to the spike can be 6mm, but I always fit 10mm as it makes sense when your equipotential bonding is 10mm

As others have said, it doesn't have to be 10mm, and can be 6mm, but as I usually carry 10mm for main bonding anyway, I usually use this, as it saves having to stock/carry another roll/size of cable

I would size it according to pme supplies, not that it needs it at present.
Two reasons
1/ Possible upgrade at a future date to pme
2/ Mechanical protection of the the earthing conductor and from corrosion.

TT main earth 2.5mm² minimum, if mechanicaly protected, 4mm² if not (Reg. No. 543.1.1).
If buried, 16mm² sheathed, 25mm² unsheathed (table 54.1).
Bonding 6mm² minimum (Reg. No. 544.1.1).

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Sickmick
Main bonding hasn't got to be 10mm on a TT system.
Can you point this out in the regs please as my copy seems to have omitted this!!!

For a TT system you can have a 2.5mm main protective conductor if you so wish and the way to size is is done via reg 543.1.3.

Not really sure what you are getting at Malcom ???

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Trip to spec savers for me

Sickmick I do apologize I missed the 't from you post, but it is an age thing

And spark 68 thanks for pointing that out, before I crashed into a heap.

:leaving:
so that's me leaving

couple of large shots of JD might help, malc.

Reply to TT Earth cable sizing in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net