Discuss TT earth rod need to be visually verified? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

odigi

Hi all,

just did my first PIR on a TT system and found an earthing conductor heading from the MET, under the floorboards and into the ground away from the ccu towards the house. Ze gave me 3.9 ohms.

Question is: do i need to visually verify connection to a rod (if there is one!)?

thanks

odigi

Is it going to a gas pipe or a central heating pipe under the floor?

You don't know and 3.9 Ohms is an extremely low reading for an earth electrode.

If I can't verify the means of earthing, let alone see if there's a secure connection with a BS 951 clamp, it's a code 2 on my report.

Thanks

The wooden floor is raised a foot above the ground level. The earth conductor disappears into the ground level. I put a code 2 also. Also, the upstairs flat is using the same conductor - didn't see a problem with this,but is there?

Thanks

The wooden floor is raised a foot above the ground level. The earth conductor disappears into the ground level. I put a code 2 also. Also, the upstairs flat is using the same conductor - didn't see a problem with this,but is there?

Is it a separate installation?

I see, should I advise moving the isolator, meter upstairs also? what if the upstairs refuse to get their own earth? should i connect as i found and note on PIR?

I see, should I advise moving the isolator, meter upstairs also? what if the upstairs refuse to get their own earth? should i connect as i found and note on PIR?

You asked if there was a problem with this arrangement, there clearly IS!! What you do to to correct the situation is totally down to you and your customer. It's no good getting upset, because you don't like the asnswer mate....

Wasn't aware that I said I didn't like the answer. I only continued to ask what could be put on PIR if anything at all.

Sorry, i misread your post then mate...

First things first then, have you checked all possible accessible places where connection is possible to extraneous pipework in this flat?? Is it not possible to undertake installing/driving in your own rods for this installation?? As it stands at the moment, your customer is getting a code 2, and maybe a code 1 for this unverified earthing/bonding source if left in it's present situation.

As for this shared connection with another flat, ...have you tried talking to these neighbours, explaining the situation?? Maybe by quoting a competitive price for rectifying the situation!! Think you need to talk to both parties together, before deciding on a course of action

Oh I think I see how you read it now! I wasn't being sarci those where genuine questions :!

thanks for your advice - I was hoping to drive one rod but as you suggest I could quote for two. But the question is still: if they say no, should reconnect them to the downstairs or leave them disconnected? I would see this as leaving an installation worse than i found it, albeit not the installation I started on!

yes i agree ..advise for a new rod in a good place for your customer....advise the other flat on the situation if you can...quote them...of course..for a new rod also...but other wise its up to the customer what they do...
i find if its an option then the other party will just ignore it..
had one with no earth at all...still didnt want it sorted.that was few years ago and still like it now....we can only try

Though you would in effect be disconnecting a connection, albeit of unknown origin, you wouldn't i hope disconnect this cable from the neighbours installation without informing them before hand, there-by giving them prior notice, to either make there own arrangements, or to employ yourself to make the necessary rectifications.

This is a PIR job your doing at the moment i understand, so in all honesty you could just record your findings and leave it at that, with recommendations. The problem comes if your customer wants you to rectify their installation. It's then that you would have to disconnect that unknown earthing/bonding source from the upstairs flat installation....

Because no-one knows if this is a bonding connection or a rod connection, ...at 4ohms it is more likely to be a bonding connection. Now you can't leave a main bonding connection from one properties installation that's also a part of another totally independent installation.

never occurred to me to leave the earthing for upstairs and advise a new rod for downstairs - makes sense now! nice cup of tea with both parties if they decide to rectify. cheers for help with this

Bit of wishful thinking there odigi, that earthing cable that disappears under the floor is much more likely to be connected to a gas or water pipe in the downstairs flat than any earth rod...

Reply to TT earth rod need to be visually verified? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net