Discuss tv point in extension in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ExArmy

-
Reaction score
i've got an extension to wire up, on the spec theres a tv point in the corner of the room, adjacent to the living room of the existing.

if i run a cable from the original TV and plug into the RF2 on the back of the sky box and run it to the new tv point, would it be possible to watch normal "terrestrial" TV here, aswell as being able to watch whatever is on sky? this is assuming there is an antenna connected to the sky box.
this is as i remember it, not done anything with tv cables for about 10 years!

wow this is a quiet part of the forum, or nobody knows the answer!

i've installed a cable, i have had it lying about the house for ages, i don't know what sort it is but it's pretty thin. the run is about 10M from the back of the sky box so i'm hoping it's gonna be ok. i've literaly got no idea what to do with TV stuff, so i'm just gonna connect up the points and see if it works next week....

is there somewhere where i can find out about tv cable installing? like a basic guide or something..?

Hadn't seen it. Just check if the RF2 output on the model you have is active. Some of the early model ones weren't (all of the later models are). You may need to set the RF2 output channel as well (via the installer menu -- go to the system setup menu, then press "0""1"select (that's zero then one then select) to ensure that the port is active.

I would hazard a quess (and it's only a guess) that you'd run into too much signal degredation after about 10 meters without a booster (but you could presumably add one at the sky end):

I haven't done a new aerial run just to support the digital signal since the changeover. All the ones I've done previously have been for the old analogue signal, but I haven't had anyone call back since the change over. The layout at home is:

From the sky box in lounge immediately into booster, up into loft, split in loft (not boosted) to feed one bed (not digital so only sky available) and down to first floor booster (which feeds two other beds (one digital) and the kitchen (digital); two storey house so run is about 15 meters between the two boosters). All the cables are well terminated (and shielded) but it does need the extra first floor boosting to get a decent digital signal into the kitchen.

If you don't have one it might be worth getting a cheap terrestrial (under £10) meter and plug it onto the output from the sky RF2, that'll give an indication of what signal strength you have to start with (if it's marked in db/microvolt, then around 70-80 would be good to start with).

One additional thought. When I set this up at home it was before the power boost to the digital signal was done. I haven't checked it without the second booster since the digital signal power was increased a few months back.

I've connected TV's up directly from the RF2 port in excess of 10M, maybe closer to 20M using a good grade of coax (CT100) without issue.
Mostly there's a requirement of more than one TV so a Global T140 (or F140) 4 port booster is just perfect as it allows up to 4 more TV's complete with magic eyes and doesn't require an external power supply as it takes its power from the Sky box. T180 and F180 boosters require external PSU's.
If the Sky box has a TV aerial connected to it then you'll get digital terrestrial at the second TV along with a Sky feed (via the analogue tuner if the TV has one).

Reply to tv point in extension in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net