Search the forum,

Discuss Two light switched lines in same cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Richard Burns

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just a quick clarification, I am thinking of replacing a T&E switch wire with a 3+E switch wire as an easy way to convert a single light switch to a double light switch without ripping out the wall.
This would mean that there would be two cores as switched lines, one for each light.
I am fairly sure it is safe and within the CCC and grouping requirements but I have a feeling I should not be doing this; but cannot remember why.

There are regs about single circuits not in two cables, two final circuits not in the same cable, but I cannot find anything about different parts of the same final circuit in the same cable, any pointers? Thanks

I would say it's OK (without trawling the regs)
Reason being, it's one final circuit, so de-engerizing the circuit will render all the conductors in the cable dead.
One problem I can think of, if you're using LED lamps you might get the glowing effect on the off lamp if the other is on.

Thank you, your ideas match with my initial thoughts.
Existing light is G9 halogen, new lights will be T5 fluorescent so should not be a problem, I am probably just remembering odd things and not connecting up in straight lines!
Cheers I will tell the customer "no problem"

Reply to Two light switched lines in same cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

A switch i saw today has a T+E in the switch and only a single T+E in the light fitting. I'm presuming this means it's junction boxed somewhere...
Replies
Views
Hi I want to add a light to my attic. There is a single switch on the landing that I want to change to a double switch and then use it to still...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, When checking my consumer unit voltages with the full board off, I stumbled across something head scratching. Measuring the feed...
Replies
Views
I have a strip light in the kitchen operated from a single switch. I want to replace it with a straight bar 4 spot array. There are three supply...
Replies
Views
Client currently has a DB in his outhouse. It feeds a pool pump and an air source heat pump. It is currently being supplied using a 4mm T&E cable...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock