Discuss Type C MCB needed for EV Charging? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Marcus Vaughan

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've not a lot of experience with EV but was called to a local job to investigate a loss of power to a 32amp 7.2KW EV charger.

It turned out the 32A MCB (Type B) had failed, and would not even operate when completely removed from the board.

I happened to have a matching Contactum B32 breaker (2nd hand) - so put that in to literally 'get them back on the road'.

Anyhow - the customer then tells me he has been advised that the breaker should be a type C.

I've not heard of this before, and the manufacturer was fairly non-committal "You can put in a type C if you want"

Can anyone advise if EV chargers are susceptible to inrush due to the transformer?

It's a Rolec EVHomecharge http://assets.rolecserv.com/files/p...547ae/WallPod EV Tethered Data Sheet - 02.pdf

I wonder what other peoples experiences of this issue is?

No problem with changing to a type C in terms of Max Zs etc.

...but not an easy part to replace if I am going to stick to the same manufacturer. Breaker on the left is what I have put in - but I can't find a contactum 7 series type C anywhere. I think I've got a 9 series though.

Type C MCB needed for EV Charging? upload_2019-4-13_9-41-3 - EletriciansForums.net

Installation details,
TNS
Ze=0.12 ohms
circuit length is only a couple of meters in SWA - R1+R2 = 0.03 ohms
40A 30mA RCCB at the charging point.
No faults.

The old MCB was of poor quality and nearly split in two with over - tightening. I think there has been frequent tripping and resetting.

Thoughts? Type C standard practice for EV?

Cheers.

Don't worry about buying the actual charging unit at this stage. To do the notification under your current scam membership, just add a new 32A circuit on a Type C MCB/RCBO at the DB and terminate to a rotary isolator next to where the charging point will go if & when you buy .
that was posted about 45mins a go by a fellow spark .

Don't worry about buying the actual charging unit at this stage. To do the notification under your current scam membership, just add a new 32A circuit on a Type C MCB/RCBO at the DB and terminate to a rotary isolator next to where the charging point will go if & when you buy .
that was posted about 45mins a go by a fellow spark .

Just spotted that - cheers.

The rolec ev chargers usually have a 40 amp type c rcbo in them for a 32 amp charge / 20 amp rcbo for a 16 amp charge load.
When i discussed this on a training day they were non commital about the supply mcb. They did say with a short cable run there tech people found more nuisance tripping. With longer cable runs less so. But a type c is a safer bet. With the earlier rolec units it was rebadged chint and quality was iffy the newer ones are much better.
Guess its a case of cable calcs and circuit design.
Personally i would always install type c mcb. If i have to install an upfront type a rcd for the evbox elvi charger then i use a rolec rcbo with type a protection and 40amp type c to protect the charger as the internal dc monitoring in the charger doesnt on its own meet regs. Rolec only charge around 20 quid for these too which is a good price.

The rolec ev chargers usually have a 40 amp type c rcbo in them for a 32 amp charge / 20 amp rcbo for a 16 amp charge load.
When i discussed this on a training day they were non commital about the supply mcb. They did say with a short cable run there tech people found more nuisance tripping. With longer cable runs less so. But a type c is a safer bet. With the earlier rolec units it was rebadged chint and quality was iffy the newer ones are much better.
Guess its a case of cable calcs and circuit design.
Personally i would always install type c mcb. If i have to install an upfront type a rcd for the evbox elvi charger then i use a rolec rcbo with type a protection and 40amp type c to protect the charger as the internal dc monitoring in the charger doesnt on its own meet regs. Rolec only charge around 20 quid for these too which is a good price.

Thanks for that detailed reply. Good information. It seems to make sense to go with a type C if I can find one, and the circuit is very short.

hink we need some new icons, perhaps a sorry icon and a thank you icon would be useful
Type C MCB needed for EV Charging? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

this will do .

Reply to Type C MCB needed for EV Charging? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock