Discuss Career change/sideline in EV Charge Point installation or PV Installation in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm considering a career change or trying to implement a 50/50 split between my current work in IT - largely working in a technical capacity as a 3rd line support analyst and re-training to get into the green sector and do part-time work (or potentially a full career change) either fitting PV solar panels or home EV charge points for vehicles. I was hoping to gauge feedback and get some idea of whether my heads in the clouds (and I'm being unrealistic) and any pitfalls to lookout for if I'm considering TradeSkills4U as a training provider. I've read the various feedback threads for them and understand they're mainly focussed on exam passing but will give you the basic skills (albeit without real world experience) to pass.

I am keen to work in the renewable sector and want to be part of the drive to move the world to renewables (at least, that's my somewhat naive approach to a new career direction), I'm also interested in how PV panels work/how effective they are etc.

Obviously I'm considering the ST4U route below. As a complete newbie with no electrical experience, I'm weighing up whether to do the below course or the EV installation point course.

Does anyone have experience of these courses akin to my situation as a newbie? Can any of you good people advise what the approach should be (Assuming I complete the course) after completion? How do I get started (self employment? how realistic is it to be a part-time EV installer, for example?) Equally, are there any other routes that might be better suited (don't say Gardener!!)

Week 1 Practical Skills in Domestic Installation - C&G 4141-01

Week 2 Installation Theory and Part P Building Regulations - C&G 2393-10

Week 3 - Inspection & Testing Skills - C&G 2392

Week 4 (3 Days) - Wiring Regulations - C&G 2382-18

In the last week:

Week 5 (4 Days) Domestic EV Charging Point Installers Course - C&G 2919-02

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.

I don’t think you’ll get much support doing these course, given the acronym of Electrical Trainee’s. There are however some members on here, who have obtained qualifications as a spark by such courses.

Installing ev chargers requires a fair bit of working knowledge of wiring regs, not just the things itself.

There’s also probably lots of electricians and companies following this path, so there’s not a glute of jobs waiting to be done.

I did the ev installer course last year (not with that provider) you also need to register with OLEV as an installer and can only install approved units so you need to register with each individual company too e.g. Rolec, PodPoint, chargeMaster.
What I have found is that it can be quite difficult to break into the market as most dealers usually offer a charger install with purchase of a new car and will have agreements in place with larger national companies. You may get a few referrals in the secondhand market but it is not easy.
I have only done 4 installs in the last 10 months as an independent installer so you could not do it as a career change without other avenues of work.

Reply to Career change/sideline in EV Charge Point installation or PV Installation in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net