Discuss Unregistered electrician's work to be checked by his registered colleague in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

appletree

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the middle of completely refurbishing a two storey house (in London, UK) including re-wiring the entire house (new wires, sockets, new circuits, new consumer unit).

My builder (let's say "Jack") said he has an electrician who can do the work and I would get the certificate at the end of the job. When I asked for the registration number, he gave me the name of the electrician (let's say "Steve" for the sake of this post), his company and the registration number. I checked on the internet and I found his registration so I naturally believed that all was well.

Towards the end of the work, I realised that the guy who's been doing the entire installation is not Steve but in fact a guy called (let's say) "John", who is not a registered electrician. I asked the builder who John was and he said John works for Steve and I should not worry as the wiring was designed by Steve and that he would be there at the end of the work to check all the work and certify it.

I didn't accept that and Steve and I met and he assured me that this is fine and he would not sign off any substandard work, since his name would be in the certificate. The builder (Jack) says this is the way he's worked on all of his projects and he's never had any issues with this.

Should I accept this? The work is already near the end and all the cabling is already sealed in the walls and under the floors so it's too late to rip anything out.

How do I resolve this situation?

Last edited:
QUOTE - Should I accept this?
YES.
If the electrician signs off on it, then legally he is responsible for it
So he would not let the other do it if he does not trust him,
And if he designed the layout anyway
Then there is nothing to worry about
QUOTE 2 -
How do I resolve this situation?
there is nothing to worry about.
you as a consumer are fully covered.
[automerge]1571623167[/automerge]

Last edited:
This is absolutely standard in the building trade.
One part p registered electrician can over see and sign off the work of A another electrician, in fact he or she can sign off the work for 100 other electricians if they ‘over see’ all the work.
It gets a bit murky if the registered electrician doesn’t set foot on the job then technically they are signing off a job they have never seen.
In my experience this happens A LOT but no one cares really...

Last edited by a moderator:
It is legitimate apparently. We have done this one. :)

You can even sub yourself out to sign off other people's work that you don't know, and there is a searchable list with one of the certification schemes on their website. They encourage it.

Reply to Unregistered electrician's work to be checked by his registered colleague in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net