Discuss Using a Ryobi battery charger from the US in the UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Reichbaum

Hi,

I just received a brand new Ryobi hand vac as a gift from the US. What is the best way to charge the 18V Lithium battery that powers this? The charger says Input: 120V~ 60Hz 7W Output: 18V 250mA

I bought a Maplin Voltage converter 240V to 110V 45W but I'm not sure if that will work, since the vac is 120V, and not sure if a 10 quid converter will work on a battery charger.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Eric

Just do the internal alteration shown above, many cheap converters are nothing more than a fixed triac dimmer, not good for electronics!

I'd probably do it the 'proper' way and keep the US one for when you are over there, and buy a UK one for when you are over here. You're still up on the deal if the drill didn't cost you anything.

This is a very small trickle charger for a handheld vacuum wall dock. The input power is 7W so I would bet it's a wirewound transformer (heavy for its size), or at worst a conventional switch-mode (light for its size). It's not going to be a scary non-isolated chopper like the older designs of tool fast charger. If it's wirewound, then the UK's 50Hz is not quite so good as its native 60Hz, it will work fine but may run a little hotter than intended. A switch-mode really doesn't care about the frequency.

Any voltage converter rated 45W is going to be a wirewound step-down transformer - there would be no reason to limit the output so low if it were an electronic phase angle control. Within its power rating, a wirewound transformer is the most widely compatible voltage converter, therefore I think the two will work together just fine.

Reply to Using a Ryobi battery charger from the US in the UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net