Discuss Using power cables for data transfer? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The increase in power comes from using higher gain antennae, the actual radiated power of the wireless router is limited to a level set by ETSI About ETSIthis is to avoid co channel interference although increasing the antennae gain will increase the output power if done correctly it should not cause problems to other wireless networks located nearby

If the router has multiple antennae then setting these up in a space diverse configuration can improve a wireless network to great effect with little increase in antenna gain other than to overcome the cable losses, this creates an effect similar to having multiple wireless routers in the same network without the configuration issues

Here's something to look at:

WN2000RPT

I don't know how successful it is and I am guessing it transmits on a different channel to the main router so you might experience drop outs as your wireless equipment moves from one channel/router to another while you roam around the house.

Something to add, if you haven't already done so then you should check there isn't any interference from neighbouring wifi. An app like wifi analyser on a android phone is very useful to check he isn't transmitting on the same channel as a neighbour which will not help his performance at all.

I live in a low density area and from my study I can pick up 6 neighbouring setups, 3 of them on channel 6!

It is a good App use it quite a bit myself, if you think there is a lot going on using that App then you would be even more surprised using a full spectrum analyser with a high gain antenna you can even find leaky microwave ovens

With regard to channel selection routers are normally set to automatically channel hop to optimise wireless connection if you are prepared to periodically check and modify the settings then switching to manual channel setting can significantly improve wireless performance you need a minimum of one channel separation to avoid co channel interference

yes, the trouble with wifi is that is a fairly unregulated band, so shared by things like security systems and radio control models. A lot of these other systems use frequency hopping so it is hard to predict where the interference will come from.

the auto channel selection on access points (I don't think it is really channel hopping...) can help but, as UNG says, it is sometimes better to monitor the band yourself and manually select a channel in a quiet area. The only trouble is if a neighbour changes his router onto your channel you might not notice unless you regularly monitor it.
All reasons why I prefer wires!

Can be quite frustrating if frequency hopping and spread spectrum wireless is deployed in close proximity as one totally wipes out the other

Leaky microwave ovens are also a good source of interference

Ok sorry to dig this old Chestnut up again.

I have found these and they look quite smart:
Product Description | Power Ethernet

Those ethernet over power sockets work well in my experience. Just be aware that the mini-hub inside draws a very small amount of standby current whether in use or not, so a couple won't make a lot of difference but if you used them all over the house it might add up a bit.

You will need to use a different wireless channel though as advised above.

Thanks for the replies everyone much appreciated.

It turns out it was an older model Sky wireless router that was placed right in the corner of the house so all that is needed is an upgrade to Sky's latest wireless router the "Sagem 2504N" which is faster and also more powerful. If this new router is placed in a more central location then all problems should be solved.

It was quite interesting looking into this, the Android Wifi analyser is a great tool.

The powerline adapters seem Ok but home networks based on house wiring can't really transfer data at high speed in the same way a dedicated Lan cable can, I think speeds of 17MB/S were the norm using home plug whereas Sky's new router transmits around 144 MB/S and of course if you recommend home plug and you didn't install the house wiring you will be relying on someone else's joints, and there are a lot of joints in a ring main that could affect your signal.

Sky are due to bring out a new wireless router late this year or early next year and it looks very nice.

Reply to Using power cables for data transfer? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net